Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Elevated FR

REAPER metering enhancements Issue Tools
issueid=2708 07-07-2010 02:17 PM
Human being with feelings
REAPER metering enhancements
Suggestions to dramatically improve the usefulness of REAPER's meters

UPDATE - Please note this is NOT a specific request for K-System implementation. I simply use the K-System here as an example. This request is all about options.

Request updated 17th June 2014

In my humble opinion, the metering in REAPER needs some TLC. For run of the mill stereo mixes, the meters are adequate but the tracks have the ability to be assigned multiple channels and the meters should be able to display more than two audio outputs on a given track.

This request may need to be broken down into sub categories but I would imagine that most of this can be implemented in one update.

Update 2, 17th June, 2014 - CLICK HERE to vote for Airon's detailed EBU R128 meter specification request

Here are my suggestions....

(1) Request now implemented. See examples below for further refinement possibilities. Track meters should be able to display more than two channels. Ideally up to eight meters for 7.1 mixing, or at least six for 5.1 mixing. This could be configurable for anything from ONE meter for mono tracks right up to the maximum available in the update.
Multiple meters are also useful for side-chain and FX send level monitoring and a single mono option for mono material would make it MUCH clearer which tracks contain mono files.

(2) Request now implemented. Master channel should have the same.

(3) Request now implemented. Master fader should adjust the output level of ALL assigned channels.

(3a) Meters should be switchable between three options: pre fade/post FX, pre fade/pre FX or post fade. Track meters and master meters should be switchable independently (for example, post fade on tracks and pre fade/pre FX on master).

(4) Meter scales and numerical displays should be able to be customised in themes with adjustable 0dB points.

(5) Master and track meter option - display peak as a small line over the RMS meters.

(6) Meters should have independently adjustable integration and fall-off time and adjustable peak hold time.

(7) Meter graphics should have theme assignable ranges to avoid the weird stretching on themes where 0dB is an RMS value and the headroom above this could be up to 20dB (as per the K-System scale). In my K-System example below, the red LED's above the 0dB mark are actually ONE PIXEL lines!! That is how much REAPER is currently stretching the top portion of the mcp_master_vu.png file!

(8) In themes with no custom meter png's, the meters should have user definable colour zones with sharp definition between zones as an option to the current gradual fade (see K-System meter spec below for an example).

Here's a few examples....

My implementation (K-14 meters as per my Neve/Calrec/Bob Katz theme) of a different scale to REAPER's standard scale....

I used some tedious Photoshop work to add the extra values to the scale but the way REAPER stretches the graphic above the 0dB line made it impossible to add the K standard dB text markings ABOVE the 0dB line (the meters in my theme are actually accurate and the values are correct but I cannot add text values at +1,2,3,4dB, +8dB, +12dB, +16dB and +20dB).
Here's the full K-system meter spec...

InspectorXL implementation of RMS and Peak meters on the ONE display (note peak hold on BOTH RMS and Peak)

Possible example of master and track meters with 5.1 monitoring
Issue Details
Issue Type Elevated FR
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Popular Request
Priority 2
Suggested Version 3.63
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 321
Users who would not use this feature 11
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-07-2010 02:18 PM

Forum discussion HERE
07-10-2010 07:20 AM

Update 11th July 2010: (3a) Meters should be switchable between three options: pre fade/post FX, pre fade/pre FX or post fade. Track meters and master meters should be switchable independently (for example, post fade on tracks and pre fade/pre FX on master).

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue