Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

media pool Issue Tools
issueid=1932 01-27-2010 11:01 PM
Human being with feelings
media pool
advanced media pool manager needed for large projects

this is 3 requests related:

1) clean project directory should only list and delete files which were ever used in the current project!! right now 'clean project directory' can delete files from alternate project versions, it just wipes whatever isnt related to current project content! read on to see reason to implement full featured media manager instead:

even if 'clean project directory' was fixed to filter the list so it shows only unused media that were ever used in the current project, i still cannot do without an audio pool manager:

usually i have started with a clean project directory where i constantly clean unused media. now say im near the end of the tracking and editing, and a key point is when my vocal comps are just finished (edited down wanted takes to one vocal track).

i will rename the project 'final-somehting' then delete the 30 source vocal takes. we want a clean project track view. (also i may have earlier repeated this process with 10 drum takes on 9 channels, that gets dern messy even with folder tracks so i clean it up when the song is near mixdown stage and were not likely to go back!). now i use the media pool manager command 'remove unused media from pool' from reapers new pool manager window [yesssss!], and continue recording the last edits and punch ins.

ok so i continue from this point with no more 10 x 9 drum files and 30 vocal files all over the track view window, and the media manager will no longer manage at all the old takes, but i can indeed manage them properly from the old pre-comp state project file.

at any time we may revisit the old comps (or drum takes) so i keep them on hard disk with an older project file, just in case i want to re comp with different takes i can open a saved older project from before comping that has all the vocal takes in it, and i have a pool manager in that project with all files from the pre-vocal-comp state.

now i take my clean comped project and continue recording other instruments. at some point i can 'remove unused media to trash' and empty trash (or just use 'delete unused media from hard disk'), and it will only have deleted the latest unused new takes. THIS IS THE CRITICAL POINT: i do NOT want to clean out the vocal comps and drum comps, just everything from the point where the drum and vocal sessions are over. but if i hadnt used 'remove unused media from pool' (NOT from hard disk) at the just-finished-comping stage, then the media pool manager would erase the comps!.

yes this is a cubendo feature. its indispensable for tracking! im just starting to use reaper in the studio now, since its midi editor is nicer than cubendo! im using some gigastudio pianos these days.

2) delete track needs to have a delete from hard disk option in actions list (and right click selected tracks menu) so i can assign IE ctl-del to hard erase. i often want to immediately delete a set of tracks, and have them go away on hard disk without having to open the audio pool and think...

3) also extremely important!!!: store audio in subfolder, and peak files. theres been no option yet! no one, absolutely no one, wants 500 audio and peak files jumbled in with their project files! i have to sort by type, then scroll to middle of the file manager to see project files (since the alphabetical order does that to the file extension!).
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Duplicate
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 3.21
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 3
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)