Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

A Paintbrush Eraser for Reaper Issue Tools
issueid=1206 09-16-2009 06:32 AM
Human being with feelings
A Paintbrush Eraser for Reaper
My wish is for Reaper to feature a paintbrush eraser, similar to that of ACID, that's the one thing I wish for, as for everything else, Reaper RULEZ!

The paintbrush eraser would definately be on my wish list, I found it to be super quick in cleaning up little knocks and noise from audio tracks. I always found myself cleaning up vocal audio tracks out of habit while the vocalist is out having coffee. Especially if we achieved a great take.

Kind Regards

BK
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version 3.104
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 16
Users who would not use this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-16-2009 09:47 AM
-blänk-

How does that thing work? Not everybody knows ACID. Can you please open a thread in the FR forum where you can elaborate and some discussion can take place? Or maybe do a little gif-ani or screenshots of that tool in action and attach it to this issue.
09-16-2009 10:40 AM

Acid Pro 7's eraser looks like a rubber, you select the rubber button then the mouse pointer turns into a little rubber tool, simply move your mouse to the area you want to erase then press the left mouse button to do the erasing.
Just like on Microsoft Paint Program.
It's quick with audio tracks it cleans out all and bumps or unnecessary noise on the audio track, it's just press the button and erase the same way you would use the erasure tool in Photopaint or in windows program called Paint, it looks just like the erasure /rubber tool. And it's very quick for cleaning off unwanted noise on audio tracks like guitar noise and vocal tracks noise etc.etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer
How does that thing work? Not everybody knows ACID. Can you please open a thread in the FR forum where you can elaborate and some discussion can take place? Or maybe do a little gif-ani or screenshots of that tool in action and attach it to this issue.
09-16-2009 11:02 AM
-blänk-

That's why I'd like clarification and discussion in another thread first. It seems as if it would mute the portion of an item you move over, but I am still not entirely sure about how it operates. How do you unmute for example? Would there be tiny fades or something? It may be totally obvious to you, but, call me thick, still not to me.

I'd sure want a per take "swipe mute" thingy, I could imagine swiping the upper half of a take to mute that section, swipe the lower half to unmute or something.
But that's all stuff for the other thread.
09-16-2009 12:14 PM

That's a tool and REAPER is "Tooless" as the developers have stated time and again.

Workaround...Maybe u could use some sore of macro and assign it to a custom toolbar button, which then could be armed (tool-like).
09-16-2009 08:47 PM

Hi Gofer,

Here is a video which demonstrates the use of the ERASER TOOL!

I will also post a new thread and also place this link for all to see.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4445066_us...ools-loop.html

Kind Regards

BK

Quote:
That's why I'd like clarification and discussion in another thread first. It seems as if it would mute the portion of an item you move over, but I am still not entirely sure about how it operates. How do you unmute for example? Would there be tiny fades or something? It may be totally obvious to you, but, call me thick, still not to me.

I'd sure want a per take "swipe mute" thingy, I could imagine swiping the upper half of a take to mute that section, swipe the lower half to unmute or something.
But that's all stuff for the other thread.
09-17-2009 08:50 AM

Try this workaround out...

http://www.screencast.com/users/Laby...f-d786aef7fe4b

Of course you can adjust fades or even have no fades in Preferences/Project/Defaults.
09-17-2009 09:10 AM

You could use the action "Remove selected area of selected items" too :)
09-17-2009 11:33 AM

You have got to be kidding me!

I am trying to do a major time saver here and yet you point out the obvious.

I know what you're stating but it's just toooooooooo time consuming to do on the roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
Try this workaround out...

http://www.screencast.com/users/Laby...f-d786aef7fe4b

Of course you can adjust fades or even have no fades in Preferences/Project/Defaults.
09-17-2009 11:36 AM

Too time consuming mate,
It's just a thought for the Reaper developers to have a 1 mouse click and that's all

Thanks for your suggestion though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro
You could use the action "Remove selected area of selected items" too :)
09-17-2009 12:00 PM

Yeah, it's only a suggestion though I don't consider this a time consuming task:

Of course, this is only my opinion ;)
09-17-2009 01:05 PM

With all Mercado Negro tweaks...here's the macro key map.

DOWNLOAD
09-17-2009 03:40 PM

Thank you Mercado Negro and Labyrinth. This simplifies use of Reaper for many users. I hope this FR gets elevated. The macro action accomplishes the request, and is no longer a time consuming task (once found and learned). It would be so much easier if this action resided as a native on the toolbar.
I encourage others to vote for it.
09-17-2009 03:58 PM
-blänk-

EDIT: Btw, the current discussion of this Request was opened in the spam trap http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...761#post374761, it would be nice if a mod moved that thread into the Feature Request forum.

You find a quite nice alternative solution that doesn't involve splitting in that thread. Would be sad if it sinks into oblivion there.
09-17-2009 07:38 PM

Video here

Already exists in Reaper as the video shows ;)
Just a simple macro and the reason i originally asked for the right click arming of the toolbar
Isn't as good as Acid obviously but then the paintbrush and eraser are the killer tools in Acid that all other DAWs lack ;)

But it's one click unlike Mercs cool macro

NAS
09-18-2009 03:43 AM
-blänk-

But it 'mutes' only full 8s, 16th and so on? How's that useful? Does ACID have the same restrictions? In that case this ain't the feature I need.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT: sorry NAS, my wording is definitely off mark here. I should have written: "How would that help cleaning up little knocks and noise from audio tracks"" which was the point of this request. Of course your actions are useful and I enjoyed watching them work, just as I always enjoy when people come up with cool ways doing stuff in Reaper. My apologies again. It wasn't obvious in bk2008's video whether ACID has that restriction or not.

Please let's continue any discussion in the thread he made. And let's somehow get that thread out of the spam trap, so it can collect more votes for this issue.
09-18-2009 05:33 AM

No it doesn't
1 It doesn't mute it deletes/erases
2 I have those sizes set up in my macros because that is what i use
3 Like i said it's crap compared to a real tool ala Acid but if you think you are going to get a tool round here you have another thing coming
Go back through posts and see how passionate not only the devs but also most of the users are about this (IMHO archaic) no tools policy ;)

The right click arm is a nice step forward but a lot of actions only happen on release of the mouse button which is not useful if you want to paint stuff like this

Oh and for the record yes it is useful to me in 8s 16th and so on or i wouldn't have made buttons or the macros
Hows that useful is a serious question or sarcasm ?

Serious reply first
I use it to create super quick stutters and to slice together beats and loops

Sarcastic reply
If you are asking how is that useful as in it is no use at all perhaps you should remember that some people work differently to you

NAS
09-18-2009 07:58 AM

Acid has no restrictions, in-fact check out their demo and you will see that it's one click of the mouse and you're ready to start cleaning bad noise from tracks.it's point and click feature is amazing and so easy to use. I more so miss the Beatmapper but I guess that's a different issue.
As I constantly export up to 24 tracks of Wave files from my AKAIPRO DPS24 to my PC using AKSYS then with ACID I click and drag the files and the Beatmapper automatically goes to work and sets up the tempo etc.etc.
When I tried doing the same thing with Reaper, I got some shocking results where everything was all over the place and nothing matched.
I even studied the Reaper video which was very well done called tempo mapping.
I tried that too and ended up with one track sounding decent then after that I had another 23 tracks to do and gave up.
I don't know of any other DAW that simply just fixes things on the fly like ACID. As my biggest problem with ACID was over bloating it with 3rd party plugins which ACID didn't like.

I don't know what technology ACID uses, as all I would do is select my 24 Digital tracks from in-Marker to Out Marker on the DPS24 then simply copy-paste them on my PC Hard Drive, then drag-drop into acid. and every time, it's spot on, right on the mark. Even Melodyne ver 3 does the same thing it detects everything first time but only limited to 8 tracks so it's no good to me because of it's limitations.
Either way I am determined to stick it out with Reaper as Reaper has other functions which ACID Lack's little things like being able to mute the FX Plugins right from the sliders, that's such a cool thing.

Quote:
But it 'mutes' only full 8s, 16th and so on? How's that useful? Does ACID have the same restrictions? In that case this ain't the feature I need.
09-19-2009 12:45 PM

I tried all macros under reaper for that, but still doesn´t so awesome like the acid paintbrush eraser...

acid paintbrush eraser doesn´t has any secret...it is a simple paintbrush eraser tool with the particularity than erase items betwen grid lines...

I would love one eraser tool as it...
09-20-2009 04:15 PM

My macro ersases between grid lines, well down to 64ths anyway ;)

NAS
09-20-2009 04:37 PM

Sorry for hijackin the thread, but what's the name of the theme showed in Mercado Negro gif? Looks cool :)
09-20-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRev
Sorry for hijackin the thread, but what's the name of the theme showed in Mercado Negro gif? Looks cool :)
It's WhiteTie's Bubinga Grey Version, you can find it here (post #28 by ngarjuna):

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37166

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue