Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Insert Sends directly into the FX insert list Issue Tools
issueid=4618 01-22-2013 05:37 AM
Human being with feelings
Insert Sends directly into the FX insert list
Please

Hi,

Please allow for sends to occupy the same slots as FX plugins.

If we want a Pre-FX send, insert the Send at the top of the FX list.
If we want a new possibility, insert the Send somewhere in the middle of an FX chain.
If we want a Pre-Fader send, insert the Send at the bottom of the FX list.
If we want a Post-Fader send, insert the Send into the traditional Track Sends section which is provided by Reaper today.

Consider how visually easy this is to understand. It conveys ALL the information about the graph layout and the type of every send, without ever having to open Send configuration dialog boxes. You can see everything right at the mixer level. Currently Reaper provides no visual feedback about Send type. The current system sucks because it hides all the information about the graph away into dialog boxes that you have to open for every single individual send just to see a single bit of information once, which you must then close afterwards. How dumb is it to open dialogs to see 1 piece of information, when you can see the whole entire picture right at the mixer level?

Connecting Sends from within the Insert list can be done with an easy drag operation: hold SHIFT to drag a Send.

For utilizing the old-traditional Track Sends section, a new setting in preferences is required: "Default connection mode for new sends in Send Section" which allows you to set the default mode for newly created sends in the old-traditional Sends section to Post-Fader. In fact, Pre-Fader is no longer useful, you can simply insert a Send at the end of your FX list. Pre-FX is no longer useful because you can simply insert a send into the top of your FX list. So I want to use this preference to set the old-traditional Sends section to utilize Post-Fader send by default.

I would personally keep my old-traditional Sends section closed, and only slide it out when I needed a Post-Fader send.

I specifically do not want to use Pin connectors to do this. You can't see what's going on, the whole configuration is "invisible" and nested underneath pin Sub-Windows and dialog boxes. I hate having to end up with a bunch of channels on a simple stereo track just because I was branching off channels to make sends come from different FX points. It requires so much screwing around that I'd rather just avoid it and use nested tracks. It's difficult, confusing, and extremely annoying. The whole thing has a very negative visual feedback: all the user can see is "this track has all these channels and all these sends in the sends list and some weird crap is going on and you better read carefully through all the Pin connectors pages and click 25 times to find out, and then remember it all a week later since you've just closed everything showing you how it was setup".

Discussion:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116093

Thanks for your consideration,
-z
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 4.32
Implemented Version (none)