Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

CPU spike - Windows 8 - AMD FX-8120 processor Issue Tools
issueid=4666 02-21-2013 10:26 PM
Human being with feelings
CPU spike - Windows 8 - AMD FX-8120 processor

Hey Reaperites

I recently purchased a new Asus CM1831 - AMD FX-8120 - 8 core tower. It came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home, and I upgraded the tower to Windows 8 and did a complete wipe on the tower.

Reaper worked fine on an old Acer Intel Core Duo Quad tower I was running.
On my new Asus tower the program is constantly in CPU spike mode.
Insert 100 tracks it runs 40-50% steady on the CPU without anything in the tracks. Run a high track count ie: 200 tracks with music associated and it maxes between 89%-100%.
I've verified this with the performance monitor and with the windows task manager performance meter. The problem is consistant.
I am running an old M-Audio 2496 soundcard.

Oddly enough I am running Acid Pro 7 and Studio One Pro v2 fine on this system.

So what gives? I am in the middle of trying to finish my record off and am now at a standstill.

I can't believe this would be a problem with my new tower...
Please feel free to educate me if I am wrong.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Misdirected Post
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 4.32
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-22-2013 05:22 AM

Sucks. Have you done any investigation?

Do a fresh install of reaper and see if you still have the same problem(use a portable install to some temp dir then run reaper from there).

Try using a different audio card(maybe don't use asio or use built in sound card). It could be the drivers.

Make sure you are not monitoring all the tracks simultaneously as this could potentially be an issue.

Please look into it and report back. Reaper settings are pretty important too. Reaper gives you a lot of power to configure but having the wrong settings can really f*ck up reaper.
02-22-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLibTard
Sucks. Have you done any investigation?

Do a fresh install of reaper and see if you still have the same problem(use a portable install to some temp dir then run reaper from there).

Try using a different audio card(maybe don't use asio or use built in sound card). It could be the drivers.

Make sure you are not monitoring all the tracks simultaneously as this could potentially be an issue.

Please look into it and report back. Reaper settings are pretty important too. Reaper gives you a lot of power to configure but having the wrong settings can really f*ck up reaper.
Hey BigLibTard

Yeah I've done a fresh install of Reaper uninstalled - tried previous versions as well.
As per the audio card I've even used a little Focusrite 2i2 that's windows 8 ready on their drivers. Same deal with that card.
I will try a portable install of Reaper (I am assuming on a seperate hard drive would be best)

I will check the monitoring as well.
Thanks again!
I will report back.
02-22-2013 08:47 AM

Download this program and run it, should be able to identify your problem (bad driver, etc)...

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon.

Good luck.
02-22-2013 11:09 AM

Thank you. I will try that out later tonight - early tomorrow.

I will respond with my findings and readings.
02-22-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat
Download this program and run it, should be able to identify your problem (bad driver, etc)...

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon.

Good luck.
That tool link you sent me - it's unavailable on their site right now. Only the pro version for 100 dollars.
02-22-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519tbarr
That tool link you sent me - it's unavailable on their site right now. Only the pro version for 100 dollars.
Hey Nevermind
I got the link to work on my smartphone. The glories of technologies.
I will test it out later tonight.
A home version of that program.

In the end so far I have emailed AMD as well to see if they have any driver updates for the chipset coming out. Don't imagine I will hear anything until next week.
02-22-2013 02:28 PM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I'm terribly sorry but it doesn't help you when the discussion and information is spread over 2 places. This is the issue tracker, a database for confirmed/confirmable REAPER bugs and well-discussed feature requests, not a discussion forum. Alas we can't simply move things between the tracker and the forum. So please continue troubleshooting in the forum thread, thanks!

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue