Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

per-track background auto-freeze Issue Tools
issueid=118 06-16-2009 09:59 AM
Human being with feelings
per-track background auto-freeze
a scheme to freeze tracks in the background

the idea is a per-track preference to freeze automatically in the background. Background processes would be suspended when CPU is needed for other business.

The items and envelopes on the track would remain accessible: if they are tweaked, the track becomes live again automatically. Then it will be re-frozen when there is time.

The goal is to free the user from having to manage resources by hand so that he can concentrate on creative work.

When the option is not enabled, tracks could still be manually frozen - the same automatic-unfreezing-when-touched could still apply.

This would be a step forward from the industry standard freeze imo.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 21
Users who would not use this feature 14
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-16-2009 12:57 PM

Many effects and synths take considerable time to instantiate. Such an automatic background freeze per track would thus need to bypass, not offline the effects. This goes especially for the CPU heavy synths that always seem to take the longest to instantiate.
06-16-2009 04:49 PM

I think this would slow down Reaper considerably. It takes a good while to render the audio required for freezing, and would not be instantaneous.
06-16-2009 05:36 PM

freezing can't be instantaneous in any case. DP has background processing and its quite effective. Reaper already does this with building peaks: you can dismiss or suspend if its in your way...

The main advantages over the more usual way: you don't need to "unfreeze" - just tweak the track and its live. You don't need to decide if its "worth it to unfreeze and refreeze. and you don't have to wait for freezing to finish before you move forward.

finally the suggestion is for a per-track option - could well be off by default.

Sometimes we are more comfortable with what we are used to. Manually managing CPU resources may seem like a natural enough task to us. But it is no more appropriate for a musician or producer than manually caching memory.
11-04-2009 03:50 PM

This idea reminds me of Cool Edit Pro.

It is interesting (+1 vote), but I'd rather manually select some tracks to toggle "always freeze in the background" for this selection, while having others always play "live" with fx.

Also, per item freezing (within one track) would be also great to have.

The best freezing model is currently implemented in Logic: one simple icon in TCP. Click, and you have it.
11-09-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777
This idea reminds me of Cool Edit Pro.

I....but I'd rather manually select some tracks to toggle "always freeze in the background" for this selection, while having others always play "live" with fx.
+1. Great idea when running powerhungry vst's.
11-09-2009 11:23 AM

I vote no. I'll be in control of what and when I want to freeze.
11-09-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
I vote no. I'll be in control of what and when I want to freeze.
..implemented as 'cruise-control' it would be quite nice. :)
11-09-2009 11:35 AM

Ahaha. :D

No, seriously, I don't want my hard drive roasted when not necessary.
11-09-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:
Ahaha. :D

No, seriously, I don't want my hard drive roasted when not necessary.
...SSD (slc). I worked for years on an iRam. Instant start/seek on 100+ tracks.
11-09-2009 11:48 AM

Unfreezing the tracks would also delete the source file, and you do know of erase-write limit on SSDs, right? :D
11-09-2009 11:55 AM

Seems like something more of a system drain than value. In general, Reaper's Print metaphor seems much more powerful than the conventional Freeze metaphor.
11-09-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:
Unfreezing the tracks would also delete the source file, and you do know of erase-write limit on SSDs, right? :D
..within three years we'll record each session on a $12 32Gb USB-3 stick with 200Mb read/write throughput. :Y

(only problem is how to write down a tracklist on something that small.. Ampex 456 had no such trouble..)
11-09-2009 12:21 PM

Hmm, good point Unox :D
09-15-2011 03:07 PM

*cough* ehm could this be marked as "Coming in REAPER 4" in the issue tracker? :)

- Mario

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue