Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

Undo opens unrelated FX windows Issue Tools
issueid=158 06-17-2009 09:13 PM
Human being with feelings
Undo opens unrelated FX windows
Like the title says, undo will sometimes open unrelated and seemingly random plugin windows.

This is not a showstopper, but it can be a real show-slower-downer. It's been going on forever. A fix would be really nice....

Esp since Reaper's undo functions are so good, as is it's plugin management, having this really irritating behavior, which involves both of those, doesn't make a great impression (and that adds a point to its priority rating.

Just to be clear, AFAICT, this is not related to the setting of the 'Avoid restoring VST sate...' option.
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Confirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.03
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 16
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-18-2009 03:45 AM

I've been meaning to report this one for *ages*. It can be a real pain. Thanks, Marah. :-)
06-19-2009 04:00 PM
Administrator

"Sometimes" bugs are the toughest. Can you give me any steps to reproduce this? I've been opening FX, moving items around, undoing at random, but it won't happen.
06-19-2009 04:27 PM

Hey schwa. It's not easily reproduced, yet it happens with a certain frequency. It happened a time or two in the project I'm working in over the last couple of hours. But when I just quickly backtracked through the undo history of this project, I couldn't get it to happen.

Next time it happens, I'll try to save that state of the project and see if I can get the sequence to repeat. If I can, I'll send you the rpp. (Usually when it happens I just mumble something nasty, close the windows, and carry on! :))

Thanks for looking into it!
06-19-2009 06:49 PM

OK here's an example. This rar contains a project and its undo history.

http://shup.com/Shup/174286/undo-ope...in-windows.rar

Do this...

Open the project and the undo history.

At 18:27:48, a track was deleted (prior to the deletion, this was track 40.) If you undo past that point, an unrelated plugin, from track 44, should open. (Not too dramatic, but often several of these will open at once.) If you close the plugin, then redo the deletion via Ctrl-Shift-Z, then undo it again, the same thing should happen.

If instead of closing the plugin, you move it to a different position and keep it OPEN, and then again go through a redo/undo cycle across the track deletion, the already opened plugin should move to its original position. (Note that I'm using two monitors, and the plugin's initial position is on the right monitor... not sure if that would be a factor in what you see.

Similarly, if you undo back to before the deletion, and then manually delete the track, do some edits, and then undo past that deletion, the plugin should reopen the same as it did when you first opened the project.

This suggests that the problem is connected to undoing track deletions. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure there are other undo events that also trigger the spurious plugin reopenings... track deletion is a somewhat "major" event that you wouldn't just casually undo past, and this plugin thing happens when undoing more routine edits, eg, item-level stuff.

Whenever it happens, that they all have in common is that is that there's no apparent relation between the events that are being undone, and the sometimes/typically multiple plugins that pop up.

Thanks!
06-19-2009 07:03 PM

Also possibly related to this... sometimes when I open a project, plugin windows, that were not open when I last saved it, will either be open or somehow get opened immediately after the project loads.

The project I uploaded above should load without any plugins opened.

[strikeout]But its parent project, which I just loaded, had several plugins opened, at least one of which was definitely not open, in that position (in the center of the arrange window) when I saved the project.[/strikeout]

Actually I'm not certain about the prev para.... but there are often lots of plugins displayed when a project opens, which were not open when it was last saved.
06-22-2009 07:23 PM
Administrator

Having a hard time reproducing this, though I appreciate your efforts to provide a step by step.

This may be related to http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=140 which is addressed in 3.05, so let's wait and see if 3.05 changes anything.
07-03-2009 05:49 AM
Administrator

Any improvement with this in 3.05 ?
07-03-2009 08:51 AM

Didn't notice any of these problems in 3.05 yet.
07-04-2009 06:25 AM

Steps to reproduce it in 3.05 :

07-04-2009 07:03 AM

Ya... those are basically the same steps that I found made it happen in previous versions... it's associated with undoing a track deletion.

I don't think I've seen it so far in 3.05, but then I haven't done a lot of track deletion over the last couple of days, but I will test and try to make it happen (or hopefully not happen) later today.

Generally, 3.05 has a really good feel to it. Nice and responsive. Smooth and stable.
07-07-2009 05:24 PM

I see the status of this is Fix Coming Soon. But thought I'd mention FWIW that I just saw this bug, and reproduced it, by moving a track and then undoing it. 3.05.

Thanks!
07-08-2009 03:23 PM

Idea for fix -- why not eliminate open/close FX windows as actions in the undo list? They're not related to the state of the project, and IMO they just clog up the history list.
This petition for a change to Awaiting Feedback was rejected
07-08-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjohn01
Idea for fix -- why not eliminate open/close FX windows as actions in the undo list? They're not related to the state of the project, and IMO they just clog up the history list.
Exactly. My opinion.
07-13-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
Exactly. My opinion.
Third.
07-13-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2
Third.
Fourth
This petition for a change to Awaiting Feedback was accepted
11-25-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan.Krutilkin
Steps to reproduce it in 3.05 :

Confirmed (3.1415pre3)!
11-27-2009 05:41 AM

Opening/closing of certain windows (like FX) probably really should *not* be given an undo point (by preference)..
11-27-2009 01:21 PM

I would like more granularity on which actions are given undo points. Generally.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue