Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

[ReaDelay] track volume fades do not correctly affect send volume fades Issue Tools
issueid=2424 05-03-2010 11:26 AM
Human being with feelings
[ReaDelay] track volume fades do not correctly affect send volume fades
Riding the track volume fader on the mixer should be correctly duplicated in the sends; however, now, they are delayed (this totally frustrates using 'dub' delay effects)

Steps to reproduce: a (non-armed!) track plays an audio file, with a (regular, i.e. post fader, post pan, post fx) send to the next (non-armed!) track where an instance of ReaDelay is inserted, with only its wet output being audible (since the dry output is already audible on the sending track). I have the main track's volume fader in the mixer at the bottom (silent, minus infinite volume). Now I manually fade it in and out again quickly. The same sound fragment that was audible on the first track should be played back by the delay on the next track, a bit later (as set in the delay value), right? Well, it doesn't. The fade in and fade out on the effect send to the second track do not exactly duplicate what is audible on the first track -- unless the *sending* (!!!) and/or the receiving track is armed (... go figure :P).

An example: the first track plays 3 notes in a row. When the volume of this track is quickly faded in between note 1 and 2, and quickly faded out again between notes 2 and 3; only note 2 is audible on the main track. That note should be sent to the delay, and repeated there. However, I am now getting something like a fade in during note 2, and can also hear a bit of note 3 on the delayed track, while it wasn't audible on the track where I played it. In other words, the fades are being offset in relation to the source material, which should not happen.

NB: besides arming one or both tracks, apparently one can also work around this bug to achieve the intended effect by deselecting the Master/Parent send in the I/O options of the first track, and having both the wet and dry signal audible in the second track. However, that does have its disadvantages, and also does not make this much less of a bug, imho. Reaper is doing something very unmusical and unuseful in a very untransparent way here.
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 3.51
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)