Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

TCP Parameter knobs - some suggestions Issue Tools
issueid=295 06-23-2009 02:51 PM
Human being with feelings
TCP Parameter knobs - some suggestions
to improve the display and usability

Here are a few suggested changes to the TCP Parameter knobs that will make their use much easier (IMO):

Here's the current position - the same track, at different heights, with 18 parameter knobs and a track icon (64x64 bits) displayed. I've tinted a couple to show how they move around (PS doesn't this show how useful user-tinting would be? ;))

-- on track 1, there are only 2 parameters visible, although there is room for 3
-- on tracks 2 and 3, the track icon has disappeared and the Next/Previous buttons have been stretched,
-- on track 4, all parameters are visible, but in 4 columns, and the track icon is back (but very small),
-- on track 5, all parameters are visible, in 3 columns, and the track icon is at its normal size,
-- on track 6, the parameter knobs have been rrearranged unnecessarily.
-- on all the tracks, the knobs are in different places depending on the track height, so I have to keep reading the labels to find the right one.

Recommendations:
a) keep the scrolling arrows a fixed size, by implementing the Power of Pink for tcp_fxparm_arrows_lr.png
b) keep the track icon (if there is one) always displayed at a reasonable size
c) once all parameters are visible, that layout (6 rows of 3 in this case) should be kept,
d) keep the parameters in the same relative positions (running across then down);
probably this is only possible for a given TCP width; for example:
Code:
// room for 3 in a row
ABC
DEF
GHI
JKL
or
// room for 4 in a row
ABCD
EFGH
IJKL
And here's a mock-up showing the results (you will see that the knobs are ALWAYS in the same place (for a given TCP width):

[originally posted as a Nitpick - but I think it's more than that - "because it's worth it"]
Link back to thread, for any discussions:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37761
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 60
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags TCP, VST Parameters

06-23-2009 05:39 PM

I think this is a good alternative to the way it works now.
07-28-2009 01:09 PM

Please address this JCS, as it is really ugly at times now. ;-)

VERY BAD gents!

[img]http://img18.**************/img18/5369/aweful.png[/img]
08-21-2009 01:28 PM

what bugs me most and which is why i have voted "yes" is, that as soon the track height is changed, the controls are moved in their position, so you always have to search where the control is, that you wish to adjust ...
08-21-2009 01:36 PM

colourable knobs perhaps - been mentioned anywhere?
08-21-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx
colourable knobs perhaps - been mentioned anywhere?
That's not relevant to this thread.

As the Brok says, as soons as you change the track height the knobs are repositioned so you have to look for them again.

What I have suggested would work well as (I think) you are much more likely to change a track height than to change the TCP width.

So, form an orderly line and vote, vote, vote. No (washable) indelible ink here, though
08-21-2009 03:17 PM

"TCP Parameter knobs - some suggestions
to improve the display and usability"....

the cost to this thread - 6 words.

its not an 'ideas competition' - its trying to make reaper even cooler.

----
much respect - have voted for your suggestions.
08-21-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx
>snip<

"so you have to look for them again.."
hmm.. visual identification of param knobs?.... colours.....?
= relevant.
>snip<
imo that`s not really better, as looking for the name vs. looking for a colour you gave the knob (which you have to remember again) is the same, imo, especially when you end up giving _all_ the knobs a colour, which is what you`d have to do in the end to keep track of the knob-mess ...
no, imo the knob position should simply not be altered, when resizing the track controls size. that`s what it`s all about.
however, giving specific knobs colours as an addition could enhance the overview, isolated it wouldn`t provide a solution though ...
08-22-2009 08:21 AM

indeed, it wasn't meant as an independant isolated or 'replacement' solution, but acting in combination with the sensible suggestions already made in order to enhance the usablitity -
totally agree they shouldn't move around, just had the thought that on top of that, groups of coloured knobs could help users also when using many. eg. knobs affecting effect 1 has one colour, effect 2 in chain another set of colours etc.
08-22-2009 10:30 PM

a checkbox (can be per track) - show only unvisible knobs when resizing track -
can help ?
10-29-2009 04:21 PM

Link back to original thread, for any discussions:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37761
11-30-2011 10:21 AM

I would definetely love this / need this!

And also the color-thing is not less important for me. Would be a huge improvement of usability. Imagine actions like:"color all FX-parameters of selected FX to color(x)"......just awesome :D
10-27-2014 07:35 PM

What happened to this change? Was it implemented?

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue