Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Change of track event's start and length in locked state Issue Tools
issueid=2407 05-02-2010 12:36 AM
Human being with feelings
Change of track event's start and length in locked state

Doing multi-track audio recording we usually "lock" recorded multi-track takes so that they are not moved around accidentally. However, we need to change the start and ending points of these takes, with cross-fades added automatically. This is how time-efficient multi-take recording is done: record song in parts and stich together.

Currently, Reaper does not offer such editing behavior. For example, Cakewalk Sonar 7 works beautifully in that respect.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version 3.5
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 1
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-02-2010 06:20 AM
Administrator

Could you be a bit more specific? Are you asking for editing item edges to be allowed even when the item is locked?
05-02-2010 06:34 AM

That's what I understood reading the post (BTW welcome mr. Voxengo, great to have you here :)); currently you can choose what to lock in global project lock settings, but when you lock an item you cannot choose what to lock...unless I'm missing something...

- Mario
05-02-2010 06:36 AM

Yes, I wanted to edit edges even when the item(s) is locked - this could be interface customization option, if that does not work for other users. Dragging an edge is far less sporadic action than dragging the whole event.

This was possible in some earlier version, but at that time grouped edge editing didn't work - I could only change edges of a single event at a time.

It could be useful if when I drag edge of a single event when several events are selected, the edges of all events lock together to the edge of that single event I edit.

If you have Sonar7 somewhere please check it out - we do streamlined acoustical drum-recording service, and this feature does help a lot.
05-02-2010 06:38 AM

I'm referring to Item Settings -> Lock Item
05-02-2010 06:38 AM

How do you do this in SONAR? I think there's no automatic alignment of multiple item edges even there...

- Mario
05-02-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian
How do you do this in SONAR? I think there's no automatic alignment of multiple item edges even there...

- Mario
Nevertheless, it's available.
05-02-2010 07:09 AM

For now, you can just use the lock button on the toolbar to prevent item movement instead of locking each item individually. This will allow item edge adjustment.

The downside is you will have to disable it to move any item.
05-02-2010 10:43 AM

Thanks for the tip - it's very possible this feature is enough for our needs- we rarely (if ever) need copy&paste, we just need to overlap adjacent takes smoothly. I'll report if this feature works for us, and if not - why.
05-02-2010 11:24 AM

Remember to right click the padlock icon on toolbar to define what global lock actually locks on items.

- Mario
05-02-2010 11:50 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue