Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

MIDI - Pitch gets reset at item end Issue Tools
issueid=690 07-23-2009 08:39 AM
Human being with feelings
MIDI - Pitch gets reset at item end

Load this project:
item-pitch-reset.rpp

-> open MIDI editor and have a look at the "pitch" controller
-> you see, the last pitch message is set to "16293" and should stay at this value if no other pitch messages are sent afterwards

-> playback

=> Pitch reset at item end :(

If someone needs a pitch reset he simply can insert a MIDI item with a manual reset message. Please don't do this automatically by default!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just noticed this thread and YES this is a really improtant one to fix, guys.

So far I have been importing all my MIDI stuff from another sequencer, but assuming reaper MIDI ever gets really up to speed, this one point would be a deal breaker for me.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=348527

FIXED (5.1)
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category MIDI recording and playback
Status Fixed
Priority 4
Affected Version 3.06
Closed Version 5.1
Yes votes 7
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-24-2009 05:29 AM

Agreed 100%.

Please *NEVER* mess with MIDI data as it is recorded / entered, unless told specifically and very explicitly to do so. The only exception to that, where I can see some justification for having a preference switched on by default, is sending extra note-off data to kill 'hanging' MIDI notes.
01-02-2010 02:18 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Cons/Pros

- Problem occurs when item ends/pitch resets during a synth's envelope release time (circumventing this by extending the item causes additional work and possibly overlapping items)

- When a synth doesn't have a tuning knob, inserting a single pitch command at project start can usually tune/detune the synth as desired, in this case the reset is unwanted as well .

+ Forced pitch reset helps defusing spurious pitch commands (unwanted detuning by e.g. wonky pitch wheels)

Pitch should probably only be reset at transport stop and project end?

Note: After adding an empty item directly behind the existing one in the example project and glueing them, a (the?) pitch reset command appears at the start of the former additional item:

01-02-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork
Pitch should probably only be reset at transport stop and project end?
THIS. Also All Notes Off should be added ONLY by the user if he/she wants it. I don't want All notes off added automatically on each item's end!!!
01-02-2010 06:28 AM

Maybe I've misunderstood but does unticking "Reset Pitch" in Preferences / MIDI Devices resolve the original issue?

A bit cheeky, but this is related:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1712
01-02-2010 06:35 AM
-blänk-

Pitch shouldn't be reset at transport stop. At least that should be optional (and it is right now). It should always use the last event found on the timeline before the edit cursor. Otherwise there'd be a problem still with Steindorks point #2
Quote:
- When a synth doesn't have a tuning knob, inserting a single pitch command at project start can usually tune/detune the synth as desired, in this case the reset is unwanted as well .
Same goes for other CC events, as shown in Data's post in the discussion thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=19

Only hanging notes should be stopped at transport stop.

What is essential in this discussion is a proper MIDI event chasing, as described by br1252 in the same thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=22, so you always deal with the current setting of CC (and pitch, program change, sysex etc messages), wherever you place the edit cursor (which includes spots between MIDI items, so a MIDI event chasing has to work across tracks as a whole, not per item).
This petition for a change to Fixed was rejected
10-29-2015 08:44 AM

FIXED (5.1)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue