Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Notes (text) for tracks Issue Tools
issueid=433 07-02-2009 05:33 AM
Human being with feelings
Notes (text) for tracks

Hi

When I'm recording tracks with my guitar for example, I'm using a lot of settings (pedal, mics parameters) and I would like to have a notebook on each tracks in order to remember them for another time.

The notebook on Nuendo was really useful and I'd like to have a tool like that in Reaper. I know that we can do that on items but I haven't found the same on tracks.

Thanks,

Vincent.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version 3.01
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 11
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-02-2009 09:05 PM
Administrator

07-03-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
Notepad VST seems like a great plugin. Anything for a Mac?
07-03-2009 09:48 AM

Yeah ok, I'll take this plugin.

I really like reaper and I'm intending to buy it after the end of my evaluation period (acutally it's in 2 days...).

But a thing I'd really appreciate is that you include in the main program some of the additional plugs, like the SWS for example. I just find a bit annoying to have to install loads of adds plugs (which are not FX or instruments).

And concerning the Notepad one, it could be really better (like Nuendo, sorry for comparing all the time) if we could see straight away if there are some notes on the tracks and see them as quick (like an enveloppe actually).

Thanks anyway,

Vincent
07-03-2009 10:35 AM

Hello,

Newcomer here, English is not native language, so my first post will be on a "not critical" stuff ;-)

I agree with Veins that it would be just fine to be able to attach text comments to tracks.

Moreover, logically speaking, there's already the "eye candy" "track icon" display thing, so adding some basic text display to it would be very complimentary :
In terms of user experience, it could translate into having the ability to attach a text comment to the track icon, with this comment being displayed as a tooltip when mouse is over the track icon.

Note that I have no experience of Nuendo (nor any thorough experience of any other DAW actually..), but this would be convenient, and also... logical and consistent.

cheers
Guillaume
07-03-2009 10:39 AM

Guix, sale français, dégage de mon thread !

;)

I don't really agree with your proposal because I have the feeling that it means we have to open an external text editor and link the file to the track, etc...

For me, the more simple, the best it is.
07-03-2009 10:43 AM
-blänk-

Why don't you insert an "empty item" at the start of the tracks and write your note into it? You'll get tooltip and all, can even have a nice "this is a note" pic showing if you want..
07-03-2009 11:17 AM

Hello Gofer,
Thanks for your advice, I didn't know about the "item -> right click -> insert note" thing, this provides mostly the expected result to me.

That being said, this also reinforces my feeling :
For **consistency**, we should have exactly the same "insert notes" ability and behaviour, on track icons :
- set a track icon on a track -> right click on it -> "insert note"
- then have the same tooltip display behavior as for items notes
-> this way, this would prevent us from
. having the screen cluttered with a "dummy" items,
. where notes display is lost when zoom level is too small,
. where notes display is also lost when not displaying track start, ...

Veins, I don't know if you agree that this is straight and simple, but ok, now I stop highjacking your thread :-)

Guillaume

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue