Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

In ProTools 8.0.3: Rewire Slave Error: Error creating communication channel Issue Tools
issueid=2136 03-06-2010 12:29 AM
Human being with feelings
In ProTools 8.0.3: Rewire Slave Error: Error creating communication channel
I'm trying to open Reaper as a plugin in ProTools 8.0.3 and I got this message, with Reaper 3.35

I downloaded and installed Reaper 3.35 in my system: Win XP Pro, SP3 w/ ProTools 8.0.3 and got this error when trying to open it as an instrument.

Several ProTools users report the same problem.

So, I can't try Reaper at all.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Not a Reaper Bug
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 3.35
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-06-2010 06:47 AM
Administrator

Is there any other information or log from Pro Tools explaining what the error is? This may be difficult to debug from our side unfortunately.

Reaper does run as a standalone application on your system, right? Just making sure I understand what "can't try Reaper at all" means.
03-06-2010 07:07 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Link to parallel discussion in the DUC: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=268577
03-06-2010 08:51 AM
Administrator

Thanks Steindork. Is it a correct summary that:

- Reaper 3.35 works as a rewire slave in PT 8.0.1 on XP
- Reaper 3.35 does not work as a rewire slave in PT 8.0.3 on XP
- Reaper 3.35 does work as a rewire slave in PT 8.0.4b on W7 x64

? If that is correct, it sounds like PT changed something in 8.0.3, and maybe they fixed it again in 8.0.4b? Please let me know if I am not interpreting the issue correctly.
03-06-2010 09:49 AM

"Is there any other information or log from Pro Tools explaining what the error is?"
Nop. that's all I get.

"Reaper does run as a standalone application on your system, right?"
Yes, it works. I'll be using Reaper inside of PT.

"If that is correct, it sounds like PT changed something in 8.0.3, and maybe they fixed it again in 8.0.4b?"
8.0.4b is (just)a Win 7 driver released for the public.
On XP SP3 (PT 8.0.3), it doesn't work.

Thank you.
03-06-2010 03:05 PM
Administrator

OK, the key question is, is it correct that Reaper 3.35 works as rewire slave in PT 8.0.1 but not 8.0.3, on the same machine? If so, is there any way to find out what changed in PT?
03-06-2010 06:20 PM

Reaper as a ReWire slave in Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 on XP Pro SP3 is working on my end. Something to make known is that Pro Tools in Windows 7 is currently beta. I myself haven't tried 8.0.3 in XP yet, which is an official release. I'll give this a go and report back.

Shane
03-06-2010 07:21 PM

Sorry gents, but PT LE 8.0.3 and REAPER 3.35 on XP Pro SP3 are working just fine on my end. I cant do a repro of the reported bug here at all.

You guys are using ReWire 1.7 I hope?

I myself use ReWire 1.7 in the above link as I don't have Reason installed in this specific partition. As far as PT and W7 go, which is in beta anyway, I cant get to that one to try and repro for another week or two. Anyways, hope this helps and I'm back to restoring PT 8.0.1cs1...PT 8.0.3 is junk.

Shane
03-06-2010 08:49 PM
Administrator

Thank you very much for testing, Shan. Hopefully using the latest ReWire is the fix for PT users having the problem, or perhaps there is some configuration setting on the PT side?
03-06-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
...perhaps there is some configuration setting on the PT side?
No other config settings come to mind that would cause this. I'll Skype with another user who has reported this error and see if there's any other differences between our systems.

I recommend ReWire 1.7 to be installed and given a shot first for those who are seeing this specific error message.

Shane
03-07-2010 04:02 PM

Just an update. Using ReWire 1.7 on one of those systems is still producing the error so we're back at square one to finding the actual cause of the issue.

Shane
03-07-2010 06:40 PM

Both users who currently get this error are using Axiom Pro 61 keyboards. We are currently investigating that area. Going after the ReWire 1.7 area produced no change.

Shane
03-07-2010 07:59 PM

I can't tell what version of ReWire I have, but I'm running Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 with an Axiom Pro 49 (with HyperControl set up) on XP Home 32-bit and I can rewire Reaper 3.35 with no issues.
03-07-2010 08:11 PM

We have now confirmed that removing the Axiom Pro 61 driver makes these 2 systems error free with REAPER. What would be the next step schwa? There seems to be conflict between REAPER and this driver. This is a very common and popular controller by the way. Do you need the specific driver to have a look? Thanks.

...and big props and cheers to filosofem for getting to the bottom of this one. He was the individual who nailed this one.

Shane
03-07-2010 09:15 PM
Administrator

Is Reaper trying to open the Axiom when Reaper opens as rewire slave? Reaper would fail to connect to the Axiom if PT is already connected to it. I can't think why that would block Reaper from opening as a slave, but it's possible PT detects the conflict.

Please try this: open Reaper standalone, open preferences/audio/MIDI devices, right click the Axiom and disable it completely (for both input and for control). Then try to load Reaper as a slave, does the problem persist?
03-07-2010 11:28 PM

Hello,

I did several tests on my side, I have the Axiom Pro 61 installed.

I DID NOT UNINSTALLED THE AXIOM DRIVER, and I'm able to open Reaper as a slave in PT now: I just need to open Reaper in an Instrument Track on the FIRST track of my session. Then I can move this Instrument Track wherever I want.

So, I fixed the problem just by opening Reaper in an Instrument Track placed first in the line, with Axiom Pro driver still installed.

Cheers,
Shutiri.
03-08-2010 07:25 AM
Administrator

OK, I'm glad you have it working. Given that the workaround is to do things in a specific order within PT, I'm going to mark this ticket as "not a Reaper bug." Please feel free to post in the Reaper user forum if any more information comes to light.

And thanks again to all of the helpful PT users who tried stuff out.
03-08-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutiri

So, I fixed the problem just by opening Reaper in an Instrument Track placed first in the line, with Axiom Pro driver still installed.

Cheers,
Shutiri.
This isn't a fix. It's a workaround for your specific system only. Try sending REAPER to multiple Instrument and Aux tracks which many do when they use REAPER to host their VI's for Pro Tools. ;)

Also do a test sending multiple individual ReWire channels from REAPER into different Instrument/Aux tracks in Pro Tools and see what happens. The above step by schwa still needs to be done and reported on.

We're not done with the regression on this this one yet.

Shane
03-08-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
Is Reaper trying to open the Axiom when Reaper opens as rewire slave?
Hello schwa

I believe not. Further regression displayed having Axiom Pro Disabled in all Reaper Audio/MIDI Preferences did not resolve the ReWire communication error. Further troubleshooting on my behalf has discovered uninstalling the Axiom Pro Driver after installing Reaper and reinstalling the Axiom Pro Driver resolves the ReWire communication error.

I will report this to Digi but given there is an easy workaround, action on fixing this bug might be slow.

Regards.

filosofem
03-10-2010 11:30 PM

Reaper rewire is working for me now. im using Pro Tools 8 M-Powered 8.03 with Vista 32bit. but still crashes automatically in FL Studio.
03-26-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBlack
Reaper rewire is working for me now. im using Pro Tools 8 M-Powered 8.03 with Vista 32bit. but still crashes automatically in FL Studio.

Update: starting getting the errors again. Updated to Reaper 3.4 and still have the same problem. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. Its hit or miss with this so far. And when it does work the audio plays all distorted.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue