Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Lag between meter response and play back header Issue Tools
issueid=2166 03-11-2010 12:31 AM
Human being with feelings
Lag between meter response and play back header
Meters respond to audio before the play header actually reaches the audio regions

I posted this before but absolutely nothing happened and i failed to explain it very well. This issue is not hardware settings oriented. Upon first opening REAPER everything works perfectly as it should but after about 20+ minutes of use the play head (pretty sure that's what it's called) gets behind the response of the meters. This is not latency between REAPER and my hardware because i can physically see where in time the sound should be playing but the meters are ahead. It appears that wherever i set the play header to the grey line that moves across the screen when playing back suddenly jumps 1 1/2 bars behind and therefore the meters start responding about 1 1/2 bars before the sound actually starts playing. This makes editing kind of a pain because if a clip happens i can't really be sure exactly where it occurred. this is not just limited to version 3.35 but it has been happening to me for at least the past 3 version.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Cannot Reproduce
Priority 2
Affected Version 3.35
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 1
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-11-2010 01:25 AM

Not a bug I think. You need to lower the render-ahead siez for this. Wouldn't go lower than 50ms though. Or disable Anticipative FX processing.

Maybe also see this bug: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=41
03-11-2010 01:43 AM

Why would that make this occur suddenly after 20+ minutes?
03-11-2010 02:20 AM

Ok, that's maybe not the same as I thought (FX levelmeters ahead of REAPER's Mixer levelmeters)
03-11-2010 06:39 AM
Administrator

Problems that occur after 20 minutes are absolutely the hardest to debug, so this may take a while.

1. If you catch it happening, can you try to get a good estimate of the exact time difference between audio and visuals? 1.5 bars would normally be about 3 seconds, which is a huge lag.

2. What audio system are you using (ASIO, waveout, etc)? What OS?

3. Is there any activity that seems to trigger the problem (bringing a plugin online, seeking to a new part of the project, adding new media, adding tempo markers)?

4. Do you have any nonstandard project start time or start measure set in file/project settings/project settings?

5. Are you using any plugins with high latency (reverbs, FFT processing, convolution)?

6. Is there any syncing happening (to MIDI time code, rewired applications, SPP)?
03-11-2010 04:18 PM

Alright the lag between audio and visuals is exactly 2 seconds.
I am using OSX and therefore Core audio
I do not have any effects on any tracks. I did have a tempo and time change in the project and upon removing it the lag completely disappeared! However when i put the tempo/time change back into the project the lag did not reappear until i restarted REAPER but this time removing the time/tempo changes did not get rid of the lag, that is until i opened up another window, causing REAPER tracks to go into offline mode and then switching back to the REAPER application window.
I have no syncing happening or high latency plugins running. i also turned off anticipative fx processing.
03-11-2010 04:44 PM
Administrator

Would you mind doing this: try to get the project into the bad/laggy state again (by adding a tempo marker, or whatever it takes), then save the project under a new name, and attach the RPP without media here? If the RPP is big you can zip it, RPPs will compress hugely.
03-11-2010 06:38 PM

How do i attach the RPP without media?
03-11-2010 07:13 PM
Administrator

Just attach the rpp. By "without media" I meant you don't have to also zip up and attach the mdeia.
03-11-2010 10:46 PM

I came to realize that while trying to reproduce this effect, which wasn't working at all, i didn't have my interface plugged in. (zoom h4). It occurred to me that whenever I have these problems my interface is connected to my computer which is odd because when i first came across this issue it wasn't connected but now it is very hard to recreate the issue without it being connected. perhaps something happened in one of the recent releases of REAPER.
04-21-2010 06:46 AM
Administrator

Are you still experiencing this problem? If not we will mark it "cannot reproduce."
04-21-2010 09:51 AM

I have not had this problem for a while now, it appears to only have happened when my interface was plugged in. I recently updated the drivers and firmware for my interface and it hasn't happened since.
04-21-2010 12:49 PM
Administrator

OK, we'll chalk it up to bad device drivers for now, but please post again if the problem comes back.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue