Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Ctrl-dragging or region-copying a MIDI item irrepressibly saves the following changes to REAPER.ini Issue Tools
issueid=511 07-08-2009 12:02 PM
Human being with feelings
Ctrl-dragging or region-copying a MIDI item irrepressibly saves the following changes to REAPER.ini

(edit)
The following changes are saved, which constitute a "resetting" of the MIDI editor size/position whenever a MIDI item is ctrl-drag/region-copied:

"
[midiedit]
window_x=0
window_y=38
window_w=845
window_h=378
"

Reproduce:

1. new MIDI item
2. open in editor, set size/position of editor how ya like it
3. close editor
4. copy/paste item (ctrl-c/ctrl-v, or using menus)
5. open copy in editor
6. editor is set to the size/position ya like
7. set region around first item
8. copy region (ctrl-drag)
9. open region-copied MIDI item in editor
10. editor is wrong size, in wrong position

** this will also happen with MIDI items copied by ctrl-dragging the item.

For me, the editor always jumps to this size:

and is always in the "default" (top left, just under "File" menu) position.

High priority for me, because I'm constantly having to resize editor windows (massive damage to workflow), and I believe this bug may have only been introduced since the 3.05 feature "Copy MIDI item editor settings (note shape, etc) when copying MIDI items".

(p.s., used "MIDI editor" it title in case that makes it a little search-friendlier. I love the term "ME", though.)
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Fixed
Priority 2
Affected Version 3.05
Closed Version 3.1
Yes votes 8
No votes 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-08-2009 10:44 PM

Yep, I was just going to post this very annoying bug today. Fix it please.
07-09-2009 03:18 AM

Same here but with all midi items and not only region copied items. The window size is always initialized and the position is on the top left of the Reaper window.
07-09-2009 11:41 AM

@ swindus: thanks for the note. I've realised that ctrl-drag copying MIDI items (regardless of regions) also causes the problem.

Mods: consider updating title to "...for region- or ctrl-drag- copied items", though this may actually be a little less useful in its wordiness. :-)
07-10-2009 12:26 AM

Confirmed here too.

Please make MIDI editor remember the size we gave them for EVERY item that is opened in it. This meaning that each and every item is opened in the MIDI editor of EXACTLY the same size.

Add an action for fullscreening the MIDI editor if it's not there already (can't remember on top of my head) - yay for second monitor with only MIDI editor :)
07-10-2009 05:12 AM

@ EvilDragon: apart from fixing this bug, I propose this mini-FR: an option in preferences:

"[ ] MIDI editor configuration follows items"

with the explanation:

"The size/position/etc. of MIDI editors is copied with MIDI items. If this option is enabled, MIDI editors will open with these copied configurations. If this option is disabled, MIDI editors will use a single, universal configuration."

Something like that. :-)
07-20-2009 09:17 AM

With all due respect, this is doing my swede in. :-)

Could it possibly be fixed for the next release? Thanks!
07-20-2009 11:36 AM

yes, noticed this issue too here in France.
07-21-2009 02:40 AM

Mods: is it worth changing the affected version to 3.06? This bug wasn't addressed in the recent update.
07-21-2009 02:55 AM

Yup, changing the affected version will leave the bug report alive :D
07-21-2009 05:25 AM

Mods: bug name might need to be changed again.

More accurate synopsis:

Ctrl-dragging or region-copying a MIDI item irrepressibly saves the following changes to REAPER.ini:

[midiedit]
window_x=0
window_y=38
window_w=845
window_h=378

C'mon, fellaz.
07-21-2009 05:27 AM

It changes the .INI file?! Damn, that shouldn't happen.
07-21-2009 05:48 AM

@ EvilDragon: well, if you change the ME size/position, Reaper's current method seems to be to save that "universally" (i.e., across projects) by modifying REAPER.ini. That's fine by me, and behaved like expected prior to this bug.

Presently, though, the bug seems to be that each time a MIDI item is ctrl-drag/region-copied, REAPER.ini is written with a "default" set of ME size/position settings. Why, I don't know.

My (wild) suspicion is that this bug may have been formed in 3.05 in connection with this new feature: "Copy MIDI item editor settings (note shape, etc) when copying MIDI items". We'll see.
07-21-2009 06:02 AM

It happened to me even before 3.05
07-21-2009 06:33 AM

Really? Can you confirm the earliest incidence? I'll do a fresh-install test with the version you report, if I can.
07-21-2009 06:42 AM

I think I noticed it back in 3.00, but I don't know if regions were involved. I also kept noticing it up until the latest version.
07-21-2009 07:40 AM

I never used ctrl-drag to copy until recently. I've been using regions for a while, and only noticed it there in 3.05. I'll check some older versions ASAP. Thanks.
07-22-2009 06:10 AM

@ EvilDragon: I've checked 3.00-3.04, and the bug doesn't occur for me. 3.05 is the earliest version with this bug. Would some dev please mark it as confirmed? :-)
07-24-2009 06:37 AM

Glad to see a fix is coming soon. :-)
This petition for a change to Fixed was accepted
08-13-2009 05:32 PM

Fixed for me in 3.1.

Mods: I think this can be closed.

Thanks!

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue