Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Enter/Return doesn't close dialogues. Issue Tools
issueid=410 06-30-2009 04:10 AM
Human being with feelings
Enter/Return doesn't close dialogues.
Enter/Return doesn't close dialogues as it used to in 3beta7

After naming a marker, the marker window can no longer be closed with Enter/Return. The feature was lost after 3beta7.

OSX 10.5.7.
Intel MacBook
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category OSX particulars
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.05
Closed Version 3.13
Yes votes 8
No votes 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-30-2009 06:56 AM

Same in the fx-window if you name a favorite fx-folder.
06-30-2009 07:09 AM

working ok here on ppc w 3.05pre2 ...
07-23-2009 09:00 AM

Does still not work in Reaper 3.06 on intel macs.
Can somemone change this to confirmed? (or better: fix coming soon) ;)

The window can be closed, but only with mouseclick on ok or cancel.
It should shut down automaticly if you hit enter/return.
08-06-2009 12:37 AM

Still broken on 3.07 beta 5.

I still keep my 3beta7 because of this.
08-09-2009 01:04 PM
Administrator

It should close if you hit enter twice.
08-10-2009 05:28 AM

No amount of hitting enter closes it here with 3.07pre5 or the last handful of versions (intel 10.5.4). Same goes for the note properties and the media item properties windows to name a few. In fact, I can't recall coming across a data input window that would close with the usual double return for a good while.

Semiquaver wrote "working ok here on ppc w 3.05pre2 ..."

Might be an intel thing?

Bill.

edit: Just noticed this bug has been squashed. Bit premature I think?
08-10-2009 05:45 AM

hitting enter twice (or more) donīt close the dialog by naming markers here. intel 3.07pre5

it worked for you schwa?
08-10-2009 06:54 AM
Administrator

Hmm yes, double enter does work here on an Intel mac, but if it doesn't work for everyone I will reopen the ticket.
08-11-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
Hmm yes, double click does work here on an Intel mac, but if it doesn't work for everyone I will reopen the ticket.
Anything people who are experiencing the problem can do to help troubleshoot Schwa?

Bill.
08-13-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
Hmm yes, double click does work here on an Intel mac, but if it doesn't work for everyone I will reopen the ticket.
Doesn't work here on an Intel MacBook running Reaper 3.07pre8.
08-14-2009 01:06 AM

This bug is still listed as unconfirmed so I thought it might be worth adding that the problem persists here with 3.1 (intel, 10.5.4).

Bill.
08-16-2009 02:18 PM

I can definitely confirm the OP's bug (Reaper 3.102, late 2008 unibody MBP, Intel Core 2 Duo @2.4 GHz, running OS X 10.5.8). Will also check on both 10.6 GM and hackint0sh with Intel Prescott 640 @3.2GHz running OS X 10.5.4.

I would also like to point out that beyond this bug, it is arguably a matter of poor design. As it stands, imho Reaper is awfully confusing and inconsistent in its treatment of escape / enter. The general convention, of course, is that escape is for canceling, enter for confirming. The Edit Marker window can also be closed with the escape key, but then it cancels the text entry *even after you have pressed enter* (which imho it shouldn't - since the user has pressed enter to confirm data entry). The same goes for Media Item Properties windows: entering a new Take Name, then pressing enter, and then pressing escape *still* cancels the text entry and reverts to the previous string (cf. also Note Properties windows).

In sharp contrast, when one clicks on a track name (in TCP or mixer), then enters any character(s), then presses *escape*, Reaper (wrongfully, imho) treats 'escape' as 'enter', since it stores the entered characters in the text field instead of reverting to the previous string.

The default shortcut for closing a window on OS X is Command+W. Why not just stick to conventions and implement that instead of rolling your own? (no, CMD+W isn't used by default for a keyboard shortcut in Reaper, so it doesn't conflict; and no, there is no action for closing windows, so I can't easily make CMD+W do that myself). It would make for a much better user experience and workflow if one does not have to use different shortcuts for equivalent actions in different apps.
09-29-2009 11:31 AM

The bug is still current with the latest release.
10-11-2009 02:16 PM

Fixed in 313pre2. :)
This petition for a change to Fixed was rejected
10-16-2009 11:16 AM

This thread shall now be buried. Petitioning for "fixed".
10-16-2009 12:39 PM
Administrator

Gotta wait for the release :)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue