Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

cockos vst vs 'my folders' (lose favs when installing a new version of reaper) Issue Tools
issueid=1106 09-01-2009 02:46 AM
Human being with feelings
cockos vst vs 'my folders' (lose favs when installing a new version of reaper)
lose favorites..

steps:

1.open the add fx window
2.create a folder in my folders (e.g EQs/Reverbs...)
3.add cockos plugins to these folders (reaEQ, ReaVerb..)
4.Install a new version of Reaper
5...lost favorites ( you will need to add cockos plugins to these folders again and again after a new install..)
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Fixed
Priority 7
Affected Version 3.102
Closed Version 3.104
Yes votes 8
No votes 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-01-2009 07:59 AM

No problems here. I've created a "Cockos" folder under "My Folders" and put all Cockos VST plugins there. And they are still there after each update!

The thing I find annoying is that I have to rename the plugins on each update again and again because REAPER resets their names :(

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=902
09-01-2009 09:02 AM

why would you put them in a cockos folder if they are already in a cockos folder...

that's weird.
try put them in different folders....
09-01-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected
why would you put them in a cockos folder if they are already in a cockos folder...
1. To be able to rename the Cockos plugins, see http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=858

2. To get the plugins shown in the "Add FX" rightclick menu
09-01-2009 10:54 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Can't repro that, Cockos plugins still in my test folder after reinstall. Are you only missing the Cockos plugins or are you only having Cockos plugins in there?
09-01-2009 12:15 PM

it didn't happen to me by reinstalling...it happens when I install a new version...

I will video this on the next pre release version...
09-02-2009 06:49 PM

Sorry, I meant a new version install, which happened to be due when you posted the issue. Tested the same on XP just now, same result, works fine. I see 3 people can repro this, I wonder what makes the difference.
09-15-2009 05:43 PM
Administrator

As Steindork correctly figured out in the duplicate report, this happens when installing to a new folder, because when you install to a new folder you install new copies of the Reaplugs. It's still a bug though.
09-15-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
As Steindork correctly figured out in the duplicate report, this happens when installing to a new folder, because when you install to a new folder you install new copies of the Reaplugs. It's still a bug though.
why does it need to delete the path name? it is not like reaper copy the DLL, right? I thought that it writes paths to the dll, so I don't get why these paths are being deleted if I reaper can still find the path for the vsts (because it is the same path)

(btw- fix coming soon?)
09-16-2009 12:04 AM

It doesn't delete the path name and actually Reaper does copy DLLs (it has to or you don't get the plugins updated) and it's not the same path:

The Reaper plugins sit in ...\Reaper\Plugins\FX. When you create a custom folder (in the FX browser) and copy a plugin, the (absolute) path to the plugin is written to reaper-fxfolders.ini, located in your user folder.

Now if you just install the new version to the same folder (like 99% of us lazy folks probably do here) everything is ok. If you install to a new folder, the path to the Reaper plugins in your reaper-fxfolders.ini is not correct anymore. The plugin is not being found at the saved location anymore (either you deleted it or Reaper detects a version mismatch, no idea).

The fix is coming for you immediately if you just install any update to the same folder as the previous version. If you want to have multiple versions installed, search the forums for the procedure.
09-16-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork
Now if you just install the new version to the same folder (like 99% of us lazy folks probably do here) everything is ok. If you install to a new folder, the path to the Reaper plugins in your reaper-fxfolders.ini is not correct anymore. The plugin is not being found at the saved location anymore (either you deleted it or Reaper detects a version mismatch, no idea).
gotcha...

I think that it is best if plugins will be installed to choosen folder (common folder) so there will be a better sync.
11-10-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork
The fix is coming for you immediately if you just install any update to the same folder as the previous version.
Zzzz still same bug...your words didn't help :/

cockos plugins still disappear from "my fav folders" every new install even if I install it to the same folder.
11-10-2009 02:03 PM

This has happened to me in OSX for as long as I remember. I don't put my ReaPlugs in folders (Compressors, EQ's, etc) anymore because of this.

My Reaper.app is located in ~/Applications/Audio/.
11-10-2009 07:55 PM

Just installed: v3.141pre2
seems to be fixed. :)
11-10-2009 08:11 PM

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue