Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

[4.62] Reamote goes out of sync on loops Issue Tools
issueid=5210 05-27-2014 04:55 PM
Human being with feelings
[4.62] Reamote goes out of sync on loops
Reamote latency progressively increasing when looped, reamoted tracks going out of sync

At least in my setup, Reamote does not work reliably when looping, except in some very specific case, which IMHO is interesting because it points to the possible roots of the bug.

Here's a link to 2 examplary projects:
https://mega.co.nz/#!b4IH0ThZ!b-7-0A...wmgBIlP7VIwkpY

The first project has 2 tracks with the same short recorded metronome sample in them. The sample is in perfect sync on both tracks. One of the tracks has ReaComp in it's effects chain, which is to be offloaded by Reamote to a networked machine. ReaComp is there just for the example, it doesn't really do anything (I got similar results at least with ReaEQ and probably the specific plugin doesn't matter at all).
The other track has no active inserts, but has it's phase flipped.

When processing both tracks on the Master machine (without offloading to Reamoted machine), they null consistently.

When offloading the "Remote" track effects processing to the slave machine, both tracks also null (at least, at some occasions I've been able to have them null under these conditions, but not always, which might be another bug). But.
This is the only case when they null, meaning when the following 3 conditions are satisfied:
1) The playback starts exactly at the beginning of a beat/measure
2) The loop selection starts and ends exactly on beat/measure boundaries
3) The loop selection starts and ends exactly at the item boundaries.

In every other situation I tried, instead of the expected consistent null, I observed the following:
a) On the first pass, the tracks null.
b) From the second pass on, the tracks don't null and usually there is audible and progressing phase shifting between them
c) Performance Meter shows that the latency on the reamoted track increases with each new pass (usually in 2-3 sample steps)
d) sometimes, playback begins to stutter

I didn't try every possible combination, but I tried many and that's what I've observed with those I did try.

The second test project is exactly the same as the first one, except that the playback cursor is not positioned at the start of the measure, and there the aforementioned sync bug manifests itself.

In what way ReaMote audio sync is related to the project's tempo?
My guess is that investigating this mechanism would give a clue about what's going wrong.
This may turn out as a manifestation of a deeper problem, unrelated specifically to Reamote.

Changing the track timebase from "Project timebase" to "Time" didn't change anything in this behavior.

UPDATE:

I tested how messing with my audio interface settings affects the issue. Originally, I was using it on 48kHz and with buffer size of 128 samples.

As it turns out, at least in my setup (I'm using RME Fireface UCX, connected via USB), the issue is also related to these settings, as following:

At 48 kHz:

With buffer sizes LESS or EQUAL to 128 samples, the mentioned exceptional case, when loops DO synchronize, applies. For any larger buffer size, loops will desynchronize reliably, even when the 3 mentioned conditions are satisfied (The playback starts exactly at the beginning of a beat/measure, etc.).

At 44.1 kHz:

The loops desynchronize, no matter the buffer size.

Also tried to switch (in Project Settings) the timebase for items/envelopes/markers and for tempo/time signature envelope to "Time", but no luck.
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 2
Affected Version 4.62
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)