Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

Splitting 11k OGG file sometimes occurs one sample away from cursor Issue Tools
issueid=922 08-11-2009 02:22 PM
Human being with feelings
Splitting 11k OGG file sometimes occurs one sample away from cursor
Follow the steps to reproduce this bug

Reaper sometimes splits an 11k OGG file one sample away from the cursor.

to test this do the following:

Step 1- open the demo song and select the first channel at about 1:09.140
(it could be other part or other song, but in this particular test i used this part of the demo song)

Step 2- split some part of the wave without fade at zero crossing

Step 3- delete the waves of the right and left leaving just the part in the center

Step 4- select it and glue it

Step 5- it has clicks at start and end because it doesn't start and end where it was splitted (at zero crossing)

Step 6- confirm this by opening the glued wav in sound forge or similar. the wav won't start or end at the correct sample.

all the steps are illustrated in these images:
www.bravemetal.com/reaper/Reaper2.zip
www.bravemetal.com/reaper/Reaper3.zip

[edited by Schwa]
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.06
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-11-2009 09:06 PM

Just now I realized that the demo song doesn't come along with Reaper 3.

Anyway it really makes no difference. This bug can be reproduced with any sound file. Just insert a mono wav file into Reaper 3 and follow the steps.
08-11-2009 09:17 PM
Administrator

I do see this happening with the 11k OGG files in the old demo project, but not with normal WAVs. With the resampled OGG, it appears that sometimes (not always) the right hand split item is being offset by one sample. If you alt+drag the right hand item to the right, you can move it back to where it needs to be.

If you see this happening with normal WAV files, can you post a piece of the WAV and instructions for where exactly to split it?
08-11-2009 09:40 PM
Administrator

Also, I can get this to happen in Reaper 2.58 -- it appears to be zoom dependent. With the 11k OGG notice as you zoom to the sample level, the cursor position jumps around by up to a sample.

I still can't get it to happen with any audio other than these super-upsampled OGGs, though.
08-11-2009 11:02 PM

The speed of your feedback is unbelievable :)

I made some tests here with 16bits wav files and realized the the "bug" is not with Reaper but with the fact that there isn't always a sample at zero crossing, so if I cut the wav at zero without fade, many times each part won't start at zero.

No programmer can change that in a no destructive way, but as a suggestion now, I think that every glued item should always start at zero.

Reaper 2 and 3 behave the same way with 16bits wav files, but I wonder why I got better results with Reaper 2 with the demo song.

Cheers!
08-12-2009 05:10 AM
Administrator

I will leave this ticket open, because there is a problem with splitting on the right sample in 11k OGGs (your original example). I will change the title though.

If you split an audio file in between two samples that are on different sides of the zero line, there should not be a glitch when the second item starts playing. This is the standard audio "split at zero crossing," you would not want to add a zero sample to the second item, because that would change its length.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue