Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

MIDI editor issue Issue Tools
issueid=1937 01-29-2010 07:10 PM
Human being with feelings
MIDI editor issue
I can't save my editions

Hi, I have an issue with MIDI edition in Reaper (since 3.0 I think), and really do not understand where it comes from.
Here is how I do :

MIDI sequence in editor, it seems okay but notes are not on the right time

Big zoom, example of a note I have to quantize

I open quantize window, sets quantize to 1/16 and clic "apply" then "OK"

Note is quantized (perfect!), I close the editor

I reopen editor, everything seems like I haven't did anything!! I cannot quantize :(

Other tests :

- if in the MIDI editor I move manually (mouse) the note to the right time, when I reopen the editor, it's on the wrong (initial) time.

- However, if I change the key (pitch, vertical move in the editor), it works... The key is how I changed it when I reopen.

Am I wrong in my process?
Need your help :)

Here you have a project with the midi item
http://addiktion.free.fr/Forums/quantize_issue.RPP

-System Setup-

PC
-> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600@2.4GHz
-> ASUS P5B
-> 3Go DDR2 400MHz Corsair
-> XP Pro SP2 32bit

Interfaces
-> Audio/MIDI : M-Audio Delta 1010LT (PCI) | last asio drivers

Others
-> Behringer BCF2000 (MCU emulation mode)
-> Access Virus TI Desktop (3.3.5.02)

-> Last version of Reaper
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Cannot Reproduce
Priority Unknown
Affected Version 3.21
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-30-2010 12:49 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I don't understand the issue completely yet but...

- I cannot repro the "quantize/moving gets undone when closing the ME" part of issue. Can you reproduce that also when you remove all extensions?

- Your item source is heavily offset by almost 1/4 to the left (meaning the source doesn't start on the grid and you can drag out the item to the left). No idea how that could happen in the example RPP, did you copy that item from the other project? Removing the offset doesn't fix the borked item though, only glueing.

- Are all your projects set to 'Timebase: Time'? This is probably not the culprit either but I can imagine that it may contribute to possible confusion about where the item (source) actually sits.

- The example RPP always quantizes (other than the item in your screenshots) to the next grid line, not to the closest (and since there's a swing factor set and the notes end up on the note positions that are affected by that, they seem even more off). What I don't get now is why setting the ME display mode to "Source beats" or removing the offset doesn't fix this.

Even though I don't understand really how this could happen, I think it got messed up while editing (or recording) and there are not many pointers to a common bug for now as everything behaves as expected with other items here or your item glued.
01-30-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:
I don't understand the issue completely yet but...
Please tell me what you don't understand, I will reformulate.

Quote:
Can you reproduce that also when you remove all extensions?
Yes.

Quote:
Your item source is heavily offset by almost 1/4 to the left
This is because I started recording before to play keyboard. But I don't know how to modify the start of the item appart from glueing. Glueing creates another midi item, isn't it?

IMPORTANT : When item is glued, it works! Quantize is saved after I close ME!

Quote:
No idea how that could happen in the example RPP, did you copy that item from the other project?
I just deleted all other tracks of my project.

Quote:
Are all your projects set to 'Timebase: Time'
Yes most of them, but you're right I will set that to "Beats" (position only). I don't know if it can change something about my issue.

Quote:
The example RPP always quantizes (other than the item in your screenshots) to the next grid line, not to the closest (and since there's a swing factor set and the notes end up on the note positions that are affected by that, they seem even more off)
Where do you see that? It could be the source of issue as I'm not aware of that.

Quote:
What I don't get now is why setting the ME display mode to "Source beats" or removing the offset doesn't fix this.
True, but it works when I glue item (thank you, at least I have an evolution).

Other test/info :

In the initial item (not glued), I have this behaviour

Check the allow left/right settings. It behaves as you said (quantize to next beat, not closest). But why? How can I change it? Thanks

>> It works normally in glued item. (left beat even if allow right is enabled)
01-30-2010 08:05 AM

Important additional info :

-If I edit the MIDI item properties and set the "start in source" field to 0, it moves my events to the right(normal), but quantize works after that!!

-Same thing if I extend the item's left border to the left so that "start in source" will be 0 without moving my items to the right.

>>That suits with the fact that everything works good when item is glued.

But why can't I save my quantize editings or events moves when "start in source" is not 0? (on my actual item, it is 0:00.704)
I can save key/note editings, but no time/length editings.

(In fact I can change lenght, but when I zoom, I see that what I have when I re-open ME is not what I have set before. The offset is subtle, but it's there.)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue