Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Bansaw
Human being with feelings

Default Have a waveform editor in Reaper, rather than an external one...?

We have a lot of machines with Adobe Audition on them.
The advantage that AA has over Reaper for us is that AA had a built in basic editor which greatly helps workflow for us.
AA has a Multitrack view, but if you double-click an "item" then it takes you to its built in editor (circled in red in the picture).

If Reaper could do this, then we'd probably be more likely to switch.
The built in editor can do stuff like Normalize, trim etc., which is just what we need.
At the moment we have to send an item out of Reaper to Audacity.
Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
EvilDragon

It won't happen, unfortunately. Reaper is very much a non-destructive editing program and it enforces that. Hence why you can define external audio editors. You can do trim and normalize in Reaper as well, except it's non-destructive (which I personally find a good thing) - so after that you either render the items out or to stems, etc...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
AnalogDevice

@Bansaw

you could checkout Wavosaur. Hope this helps!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
The advantage that AA has over Reaper for us is that AA had a built in basic editor which greatly helps workflow for us.
AA has a Multitrack view, but if you double-click an "item" then it takes you to its built in editor (circled in red in the picture).

The built in editor can do stuff like Normalize, trim etc., which is just what we need.
why not use AA as your external editor for Reaper? That is what I do. If you are looking to save money or use midi then Reaper plus Audacity should be enough for simple editing. Or you can glue items in Reaper to apply the changes or apply fx to the item and delete old take - i find those easier than rendering
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
xbitz_

I like the drag and drop of Edison

can be used fast and comfortably
xbitz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbitz_ View Post
I like the drag and drop of Edison

can be used fast and comfortably
that is great - not possible in Audition
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
zappadave

Maybe a new plug in for Reaper......
.......Reawave
Old 09-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
Bansaw

THanks all...

I actually am trying Wavosaur. But they stopped development of that a few years ago and its got some issues.
I get the destructive/non-destructive argument, but , bottom line is , if Cockos want to take over the market and make their produce #1, then they have to attract as many new customers as possible.

I'm saying that if they added this feature they might get a good number of AA users who don't want to buy their cloud.
Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:10 AM   #9
EvilDragon

The thing is that Cockos does not want to take over the market. They just do what they do and love doing it, regardless of sales. They're not Avid or Adobe and never will be.

BTW Wavosaur had an update recently, so it's not stopped development. Just quite slow.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #10
MRMJP

When I started using REAPER, I was a little concerted that there wasn't a Pro Tools equivalent of AudioSuite for doing destructive processing to audio on new playlists using some of the RX5 AudioSuite versions.

After spending some time with REAPER, I really like sending little bits of audio over to RX5 standalone (my Primary Audio Editor) to make the the fix and then going back to REAPER. Though it's more steps, it's actually faster than Pro Tools AudioSuite and you get the better visuals of the RX5 standalone app for fixing clicks, pops, and other noises.

Also, non-destructive is the way to go for level changes and normalizing as you can always change your mind and the processing stays at 64-bit (or whatever you have your settings at).

There are many other things I'd like to see REAPER do before adding an internal editor.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
AA has a Multitrack view, but if you double-click an "item" then it takes you to its built in editor
Reaper IS an audio editor app. It's a DAW!
(And editing/processing/mixing audio is literally the primary function of a DAW.)

Audacity has that pencil tool feature to draw transients out of waveforms that Reaper doesn't have. Reaper's features for everything else editing-wise eclipse Audacity.

You have the option in Reaper to link additional audio apps if you wish. Or just open the audio file in your favorite other app for said features.

Join the feature request for that pencil tool if that's what you're after. There are even lengthy posts written about how it could be implemented to follow the non-destructive directive.

Myself, I've evolved to using the spectral editor in iZotopeRX when it comes up. Yes, there ARE examples where the pencil tool is really the perfect fix (like repairing clicks from a damaged vinyl transfer). But actually most of the time the spectral editor is preferred.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Audacity has that pencil tool feature to draw transients out of waveforms that Reaper doesn't have. Reaper's features for everything else editing-wise eclipse Audacity.
I am not familiar with Audacity and its pencil tool, so I'm not sure this post will actually be relevant, but perhaps eugen's Simple Sample Editor script could be useful?

juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
serr

Oh, so you can do pencil stuff with a script now. Nice!

I guess the only thing missing in Reaper is a spectral mode then.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #14
Pet

Hi, just FYI, I agree it's one of the coolest scripts ever, but it's destructive, so better use a copy of the wav

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I am not familiar with Audacity and its pencil tool, so I'm not sure this post will actually be relevant, but perhaps eugen's Simple Sample Editor script could be useful?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen2777 View Post
=====================
Warning! Script to directly edit the source file.
Undo is only available while the script is running.
Therefore it is better to use a copy of the file if you are not sure...
=====================
Old 11-19-2023, 05:42 PM   #15
j7n

I would like to see a simple wave editor, which could quickly alter samples in place with the pencil tool or a declicking process like iZotope Spectral Repair plugin offered by capturing a small section into memory. Other modern editors generally copy the entire clip into their temporary storage, even though only a small portion may need editing, which takes time, or come with limitations in the number of channels, files over 4GB or a risk that the entire clip will get dithered. The last tool known to me that worked with audio files in place was Sound Forge 7, which shows its age now.

The script linked above has been abandoned and doesn't work with other uncompressed formats than plain RIFF Wave.

You can present a warning with a checkbox about the edit being "destructive".
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote