Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
bhuether
Human being with feelings

Default Scoring - articulations, dynamics, etc

I don't know if this is even possible, but I think this would be soooo powerful. Granted, some of below might be VST specific, but if there is a standard way to do this based on VSTi standards, then how about this:

- When composing MIDI, include ability to add dynamic markings as well as articulation markings (legato, guitar bends, etc), and other symbols widely used in scoring
- Ability to specify key sig
- FOr any VSTi that has built in articulations, the ability to capture those articulations

With above, you could export as a music XML file (whatever that format is called) or maybe even export directly to Finale. THis would allow you to go from DAW to score so much more easily! Lately I am going insane over how long it takes to produce a score from what I compose in Reaper...

thanks, Brian
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
pcartwright

Reaper has a score view with articulations and MusicXML import/export. There isn't an articulation mapper yet (i.e. staccato generates a keyswitch), but that will probably come at some point.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
bhuether

What I forgot to mention is that it would be great if that feature was right in piano roll view. I do all my composing in piano view. So I can imagine selecting some notes and adding legato from context menu. Or there being a space under the notes for bar-level info like a swell or something. Or selecting a column of notes and adding an arpeggiation articulation symbol, etc, etc, rehearsal notes, etc.
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
EvilDragon

That is the plan, actually. There was a preview of articulation management in v5.3 cycle, but it got postponed for a later date.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Masi

I'm curious what the devs will come up with.

I've been fooling around with "custom rules" for Notion (now owned by PreSonus). It's quite flexible, but IMHO yet not flexible enough.

A simple mapper simply won't do except for virtual instruments that offer only a few articulations. It's a much harder task for nuanced libaries like VSL even if you don't try to score for strings.

But frankly, I hope they scrap the plans for now and aim for easier goals. There are lots of features requests open that have IMHO a higher propbability to be implemented in a satisfying manner.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
pcartwright

@ Masi,

I disagree to a point. I also have quite a bit of experience writing custom rules for Notion (back in the Notion 3 and 4 days). In fact, I completely re-wrote the GPO4 rules in Notion for version 3. And yes, that process is not nearly flexible enough as I would like.

However, what makes Reaper unique is that a notation mapping system could be leveraged by JSFX and scripts to add complexity or features specific to a library. For example, if Reaper only allowed the user to write dynamics to one CC lane, it would be extremely easy map those CC events to multiple lanes and even to manipulate the values on playback in ways that Notion was never able to do.

For example, I actually started work on a JSFX that automatically shortens notes on playback that have a staccato or staccatisimo marking. I could do the same thing with marcato and accent articulations relative to note-on velocity or a CC value. Keep in mind that these examples don't need a notation mapping system at all to work, but the addition of notation mapping could make my effect easier to implement or more flexible.

The point is that Reaper could implement a relatively basic set of articulation mapping features and turn it over to the community to add complexity via scripts or JSFX.

It would be really cool if notation mapping could be integrated into both the JSFX and ReaScript API in some way. This would make it much easier to write effects and scripts.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 AM   #7
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
@ Masi,
However, what makes Reaper unique is that a notation mapping system could be leveraged by JSFX and scripts to add complexity or features specific to a library. For example, if Reaper only allowed the user to write dynamics to one CC lane, it would be extremely easy map those CC events to multiple lanes and even to manipulate the values on playback in ways that Notion was never able to do.
Ah yes. I always wanted some kind of scripting built-into Notion. I even posted links to free JS libraries that are closed-source compatible. But I didn't get much response. Notion users are 99,99% non-coders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
The point is that Reaper could implement a relatively basic set of articulation mapping features and turn it over to the community to add complexity via scripts or JSFX.

It would be really cool if notation mapping could be integrated into both the JSFX and ReaScript API in some way. This would make it much easier to write effects and scripts.
With scripting support articulation "mapping" would be awesome.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Ah yes. I always wanted some kind of scripting built-into Notion. I even posted links to free JS libraries that are closed-source compatible. But I didn't get much response. Notion users are 99,99% non-coders
Today, yes. There were probably 10 or so users that did a lot of "tweaking" to Notion's XML files when Notion 3 came out (myself included). Notion took a long time to embrace the idea of user generated rules and even longer to provide some basic features. In the end, the users who were most supportive of custom rules left the Notion community. It's a shame really.

If Notion had been faster with rule development support, I think they would have a larger group of users providing custom playback rules to the community.