Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #161
juliuskrakow
Human being with feelings

fyi - found a solution that works for me so far. using resilio sync (free or pro both work) i excluded reaper-vstplugins64.ini from syncing. guide on how to exclude below.

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/ar...c-Ignore-List-
juliuskrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:44 AM   #162
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliuskrakow View Post
fyi - found a solution that works for me so far. using resilio sync (free or pro both work) i excluded reaper-vstplugins64.ini from syncing. guide on how to exclude below.

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/ar...c-Ignore-List-
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for!
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #163
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
It seems to make sense to have a checkbox
Like this?

Attached Images
File Type: png Prefs_Plugins_Scan_Plugins.png (48.6 KB, 358 views)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #164
DarrenH

I should have known,thanks Ollie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Like this?

(screenshot of preferences window with checkbox)

Last edited by DarrenH; 03-27-2022 at 03:48 AM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:32 PM   #165
Torben Scharling

The fact that it had to take 7-10 years for this feature to be implemented, yet still not fully implemented - where is the shortcut ? Sure, you can tick a box once you are actually IN the app...duh....what about for those of us who have this issue and have to force quit because it hangs during VST install...of which I have zero...clean fresh Monterey install. Happened after installing latest SWS and DrivenByMoss - nothing else - zero reason for Reaper to do this shit scan let alone hang in the process.

You spend since 2013 discussing this topic, instead of all agreeing to FIX the problem.

People are +1 ing the topic because clearly it is NOT ONLY FOR THE FEW WHEN IT IS STILL HAPPENING, EVEN ON A SYSTEM WHERE NO VST IS OR HAVE BEEN YET INSTALLED.

FIX THE ISSUES THAT PEOPLE MENTION AND QUIT YOUR EXUSES !

Last edited by Torben Scharling; 09-22-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:12 PM   #166
Tim Rideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Scharling View Post
FYI: I believe this is a user discussion forum only, so you can't make support calls or feature requests here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that kind of post probably will not be answered with a "fix" of the "issues" by Cockos.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #167
nicholas
Scribe

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=22
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #168
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Scharling View Post
The fact that it had to take 7-10 years for this feature to be implemented, yet still not fully implemented - where is the shortcut ? Sure, you can tick a box once you are actually IN the app...duh....what about for those of us who have this issue and have to force quit because it hangs during VST install...of which I have zero...clean fresh Monterey install. Happened after installing latest SWS and DrivenByMoss - nothing else - zero reason for Reaper to do this shit scan let alone hang in the process.

You spend since 2013 discussing this topic, instead of all agreeing to FIX the problem.

People are +1 ing the topic because clearly it is NOT ONLY FOR THE FEW WHEN IT IS STILL HAPPENING, EVEN ON A SYSTEM WHERE NO VST IS OR HAVE BEEN YET INSTALLED.

"REAPER won't scan the same plugin twice. If REAPER is hanging or crashing when scanning a particular plugin, restart REAPER and it will skip that plugin.

Unfortunately some plugins come in bundles that may contain many plugins that all crash the same way. In this situation REAPER will appear to be stuck on one particular plugin but it's actually working its way through the bundle. If you keep restarting REAPER, eventually it will get through all the plugins.

Because the scan is a one-time process, there isn't a keyboard shortcut to bypass it, although we might as well add one if only because this takes a long time to explain when it does come up. As mentioned up-thread, you can force the option "scan new/updated plugins on startup" to be disabled by going to the REAPER resource directory (with REAPER closed) and opening REAPER.ini, and searching for "vst_scan=". If the search finds nothing, then add the line vst_scan=2. If the line already exists, add 2 to the number, for example if it is currently vst_scan=8 then change it to vst_scan=10."
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #169
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
"REAPER won't scan the same plugin twice. If REAPER is hanging or crashing when scanning a particular plugin, restart REAPER and it will skip that plugin.

Unfortunately some plugins come in bundles that may contain many plugins that all crash the same way. In this situation REAPER will appear to be stuck on one particular plugin but it's actually working its way through the bundle. If you keep restarting REAPER, eventually it will get through all the plugins.

Because the scan is a one-time process, there isn't a keyboard shortcut to bypass it, although we might as well add one if only because this takes a long time to explain when it does come up. As mentioned up-thread, you can force the option "scan new/updated plugins on startup" to be disabled by going to the REAPER resource directory (with REAPER closed) and opening REAPER.ini, and searching for "vst_scan=". If the search finds nothing, then add the line vst_scan=2. If the line already exists, add 2 to the number, for example if it is currently vst_scan=8 then change it to vst_scan=10."
Would love a way skip/cancel scanning from the splash screen.
Unfortunately adding the vst_scan= setting did nothing (v5.)

With my main Reaper install I don't care about scanning because its quick. But when I install a fresh portable version to quickly test something, the initial scan makes this impossible as I'm waiting 10-15m just for it to open...

*EDIT*
Adding vstpath64= with a path with no plugins worked, but this is a portable version and I don't need any plugins at all.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 02-02-2024 at 07:09 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:12 AM   #170
lizzard

I don't have this problem despite having way too many plugins that i never use ,,and yes i should remove them .

They are mostly in reaper/user plugins ...another no no I hear.

My daw computers ,2 exactly the same in 99% of features run of the same hard drive with a cloned back up just in case.

I always switch off the power at the power point after closing any open project and hardly ever shut down as windows wants you to . win7 and now win 10 do ok with this because its really just a power failure.

I occasionally lose the last project and have to load the bak version but not very often.

I dont know if this could be a solution but it is easy to try.

On the other hand being able to disable the scan might make it easier to find buggy vsts .. who knows It cant hurt to release a beta as see how much grief is created ..if any.
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote