Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
nofish
Human being with feelings

Default moving / copying regions respect locked items

Imo when items are locked and locking is enabled, they shouldn't get split and moved when moving / copying regions.

One example why this would be useful:

You have a reference track in your project which you compose to.
You have say the first chorus done, made a region and copy this region to the second chorus. Obviously you want your reference track to stay intact when doing so and not also get copied, so you would simply lock it.

previous discussion on the topic:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=67697
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
nofish

bump

any opinions ?
when reading the thread I linked to in the first post I thought there might be more interest for this...
Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Caustic

i want this when i want to eg, keep bassline in place and change drum pattern or keep drum tracks and move region with just music, multilayered regions is what i want really, 1 for each folder that would be cool, but just to be able to lock the tracks would do for now.
Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
strinxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Imo when items are locked and locking is enabled, they shouldn't get split and moved when moving / copying regions.

One example why this would be useful:

You have a reference track in your project which you compose to.
You have say the first chorus done, made a region and copy this region to the second chorus. Obviously you want your reference track to stay intact when doing so and not also get copied, so you would simply lock it.
This is a MUST, really!
We need to have the possibility to literally "lock" a track, or an item.
Definintely!
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
EricM

Yup, that would make region copying/moving super useful.
Been chanting about this on a few occasions. Time for a
FR in tracker I'd say!

"Locked items/tracks should be unaffected by region moving/copying"

that could be a basic description.

+1

e
Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
BlackBart

I made an official FR!
Please go there and VOTE.
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4021
We really need this fixed.

thanks,
BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
droctopu5

Yep, I was just searching and came across this. Voted YAY.

Would be totally helpful for scoring. And I can see the use for guide tracks too.

I need it at the moment because I've extracted a bunch of samples from some guitar riffing. Plucked out all the bits I wanted (out of 40min of material), and then copied those two snippet tracks over to the main project. Now I've got two tracks with lots of samples, which have nothing to do with the song structure, but because they're in the timeline, I can't use regions without these suckers moving all around or mixing up with each other. I need them in the timeline as a library, and I need to lock them down without exception.

Maybe this is one of the pitfalls of using Reaper for composing, rather than just recording.

(If someone has a better way to do the above, please let me know. And no, I don't like dealing with naming everything in files and organizing a media library, etc. I like waveforms and sound and dragging them around.)
droctopu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by droctopu5 View Post
(If someone has a better way to do the above, please let me know. And no, I don't like dealing with naming everything in files and organizing a media library, etc. I like waveforms and sound and dragging them around.)
One (cumbersome) workaround would be to cut tracks (Ctrl+X) before rearranging regions and then paste back (Ctrl+V).
Thanks for the bump btw.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
Nip

+1 vote for this.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Klangfarben

This is really necessary. I don't want my video and dialog tracks split and copied when moving a region. That's why I locked the tracks.

Just a note to the developers. I have the utmost respect for you guys but you don't seem to understand the concept of locked. If I lock my track items from being edited or moved, they need to NOT be edited or moved when doing other actions in the program. That's why I locked the damn tracks. Locked tracks should not be touched by ANYYTHING.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
blumpy

+1

Sorry for starting another thread about this.... didn’t see it on the search.
blumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #12
akademie

+1

akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Luster

+1 from my side
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
Lunar Ladder

+1

Bumping this one as well, as it's specifically about region edits, and the original request for this as far as I can tell. As I said in another thread that was dealing with a request for hard locking items: when working to-picture, I'd prefer the reference video items not getting mangled every time I move audio around using region edits. Many other good uses for this also.

To expand on this thought: the existing feature of locking items but not actually allowing to lock them (e.g. immune to region edits) is a bit counterintuitive, imo. When locking something, especially if it's intended as reference material or a fixed backing element in the project, and so on, it would be very useful if it could be excluded from all edits and just sit still while juggling the actively edited material ... Otherwise you need to keep correcting the reference material back to status quo after edits.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
deeb

It seems to me that There should be 2 kind of locks. A lock content and a lock position.
(Ex: i hate freezed item, which by default gets locked and not being able to move it = i just want the content locked)

If people want to use lock in order to copy/move paste things with regions you might be interested on área selection feature request, as it Will benefit this and many other scenarios

Last edited by deeb; 07-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #16
Lunar Ladder

Yep, although area selection is still very different from region editing, of course.

To recap, simply let locked items be unaffected by all kinds of edits when so specified, including ripple editing (options for this are already there) and region edits (not there). And area selection is very nice but different from the specific request of edits being able to respect locked items in all situations.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #17
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
Yep, although area selection is still very different from region editing, of course.

To recap, simply let locked items be unaffected by all kinds of edits when so specified, including ripple editing (options for this are already there) and region edits (not there). And area selection is very nice but different from the specific request of edits being able to respect locked items in all situations.
Yes it is diferent but imo área selection owns region copy paste , and since só many people refer
The lock for being able to copy paste i thought it could be relevant.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #18
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Yes it is diferent but imo área selection owns region copy paste, and since só many people refer The lock for being able to copy paste i thought it could be relevant.
Sure, I get what you are saying, but yeppp it's a very different thing and applicaple to different situations. I often refer to region edits as copy/paste/move as well, but... heh. Consider that region edits ensure you get 100% identical project slices, across all tracks, including hidden (not visible at all in the arrangement at the moment) material, markers on marker lanes, everything. When working to-picture with templates close to a thousand tracks when counting hidden ones (Kontakt soundtrack stuff), edits that are trivial using regions (taking just a fraction of a second to edit/move) would be painful if managing such a span of tracks using area selection, and it would still miss marker lanes with cue marks etc etc etc.

Again, I get what you are saying, but yeah, considering the actual lock feature request, I promise this ^ is as far as I'm going to take off topic myself

Pretty please, just let me lock video items so that they don't get mangled when editing audio/music using regions and such hah.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #19
deeb

i got what you are saying too! good luck : )
Old 02-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #20
Buy One

bump from 2020, but does it matter?
Buy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #21
mucknog

Bump +1
Old 07-22-2020, 01:19 AM   #22
Daodan

Another bump from 2020. It's still important for us.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:46 PM   #23
paat

Are there any solutions to this, 10 years later? When moving a region, I don't want locked items to be split and moved.
paat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #24
earhax

Annual bump for 2022.

Also, trying to vote on the linked issue report results in an error 500.

But it looks like it's a relatively well-viewed/commented feature request here (as of 2018): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204214

I can only hope this blips on Justin's radar someday soon. This has been a bane of my existence since I started using REAPER in 2015.

Last edited by earhax; 04-20-2022 at 06:19 PM.
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:36 PM   #25
vxzerg

So many years passed and still waiting for this feature...
vxzerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:47 PM   #26
vsthem

Jumping on to say a big +1. Working on a film where they cut the scene to be much shorter. I'd like to move around the different sections to see how I can best fit the pieces into the shorter bit of video, but it insists on cutting up the video when I move the regions. Regions should really respect locked items, or at least have an option to.
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote