Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 04-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #121
Commala
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksoir View Post
More progress. It's weird, once you add a little bit of 3D-ness it can get away from you. This isn't how I wanted the theme to turn out - I wanted it totally flat - but I don't think it looks too bad. I will probably do a totally flat version but it'll need to be different colours for clarity. Aaaanyway...
Don't sweat it, it still looks predominantly flat - no cast shadows, no gradients, etc.

Can I make a couple suggestions though? If you want to scale the 3d back a bit, you could perhaps remove the shading on the mute and solo buttons, as well as the highlights on the fx / send slots.

And regarding the meter background, how it is slightly 3D, I know you explained this previously but I'm afraid I didn't quite understand. Can the highlights and shadows on the edge of the MCP meters not simply be erased? That really contributes to a (perhaps unsuitable) impression of "3D-ness".

But overall I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction you've gone - however if you reaaallly want to scale back the 3d effect, it probably could also be reduced on the borders of the fx / sends section, the record input display, the TCP fader, and the automation "readout" (to the right of the button). I think that in these cases, the highlights don't need to be as pronounced as they are. There could be a second "degree" of highlight, that is, the strength of light and shadow could be less on these elements. In purely skeuomorphic terms, this would cause those elements to appear less deeply set in to the track panel. Functionally, these elements would still stand out perfectly well, while the elements and lines which remain at the current level of highlight would be appear to have more weight by comparison. As it looks now, all the highlights are very similar in strength, there is no hierarchy of contrast, which could be helpful to guide the eye. E.g. the track edges and the record input highlights are weighted the same way, even though the track edges are probably more important to define from a distance.

That said, I think it's coming along swimmingly. I like how you've done the coloured fill on the selected buttons, and the TCP is looking nice and straightforward. The lines on the upper part of the MCP are now looking much more unified, good job there. What about the line beneath the MCP tracks, and the one dividing the fx parameters from the sends / fx? They look a bit too black as well, maybe
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #122
pinksoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
Don't sweat it, it still looks predominantly flat - no cast shadows, no gradients, etc.

Can I make a couple suggestions though? If you want to scale the 3d back a bit, you could perhaps remove the shading on the mute and solo buttons, as well as the highlights on the fx / send slots.
Thanks for this whole reply, it's super helpful! Wrt the mute/solo buttons, that's supposed to be a bevelled glass/plastic effect, so the gradient is supposed to reflect (geddit!?) that. I definitely see that the shade/drop shadow is too much on it now though, they should appear slightly inset. I hear you on the fx/send slots tough, everything seems to be at the same depth (as you say below).

Quote:
And regarding the meter background, how it is slightly 3D, I know you explained this previously but I'm afraid I didn't quite understand. Can the highlights and shadows on the edge of the MCP meters not simply be erased? That really contributes to a (perhaps unsuitable) impression of "3D-ness".
The MCP is constantly resizeable and some elements, well actually only the meters, reposition themselves depending on height. So in order to have a separation of the meter from the background it's necessary to have some sort of overlay. E.g. when it goes from this:

to this:

(just to not I changed the darkness of the black on the meters which helps out a lot in general in the theme)

Quote:
But overall I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction you've gone - however if you reaaallly want to scale back the 3d effect, it probably could also be reduced on the borders of the fx / sends section, the record input display, the TCP fader, and the automation "readout" (to the right of the button). I think that in these cases, the highlights don't need to be as pronounced as they are.
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying here actually, everything is on the same plane of height atm.

Quote:
There could be a second "degree" of highlight, that is, the strength of light and shadow could be less on these elements. In purely skeuomorphic terms, this would cause those elements to appear less deeply set in to the track panel. Functionally, these elements would still stand out perfectly well, while the elements and lines which remain at the current level of highlight would be appear to have more weight by comparison. As it looks now, all the highlights are very similar in strength, there is no hierarchy of contrast, which could be helpful to guide the eye. E.g. the track edges and the record input highlights are weighted the same way, even though the track edges are probably more important to define from a distance.
Yeah, you're very right.

Quote:
That said, I think it's coming along swimmingly. I like how you've done the coloured fill on the selected buttons, and the TCP is looking nice and straightforward. The lines on the upper part of the MCP are now looking much more unified, good job there. What about the line beneath the MCP tracks, and the one dividing the fx parameters from the sends / fx? They look a bit too black as well, maybe
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't change the fxparm separator line yet but that was on the list of stuff to do. It's such a quick thing to change it keeps ending up on the back burner. Agree re the bottom too, there's much more weight to that area for some reason, even though the dark lines are the same as above.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #123
Fergler

Maybe a feature request for Walter then is to enable a setting in rtconfig that would change the fader length from being (-inf)-140 < 0 > +12 to (-inf)x < 0 > +12 where x is 140 minus how ever many db are represented by the missing length of fader pixels, such that 0db would always line up in the right place.

Because I agree, the more child'd a track is the less likely you are to be changing it's volume to super low levels. The fact that you have it in a gain stage sort of suggests you're happy with it's volume.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #124
Miser

Whats up with this theme? Only working on ENABLE - V5 Theme now?
Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #125
pcmusicpro

do we have a download link?

Can the whole tracks be colored?

Good job.
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #126
uncleswede

Hi. Still watching this thread. Any progress on release for this good-looking 2D theme?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #127
uncleswede

Pinksoir,

Hi.

Any progress on releasing this excellent looking theme?

Cheers
CD
Old 06-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #128
Solar

Really digging this Theme, hope to see it out soon and give it a try ;-) Great job @Pinksoir
Old 06-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #129
cyrilfb

Default Hoping

Yes, me too. Anxiously awaiting a chance to play with this!
cyrilfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #130
exidus

+1 on the "Interested" list... I am willing to donate (if there is a possibility) to support the development of this.. Looks really cool and easy on the eyes
exidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #131
Blankfiles

awesome looking !
Blankfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #132
pinksoir

Thanks folks. I'm not finished with it, but I've been really busy moving country and finding work so I haven't had time to dedicate to it.

I'll come back to it eventually!
Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #133
TimU

Looks very promising, some of the 3D embossed effect is a little to much more my taste but apart from that I like the style
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #134
Jerok

Default Awsome.

Man just WOW, since i ported to Reaper from Studio One / Cubase i have been falling in love with all the customization, and since my aim for the feature and the move is to have what i need/WANT and Reaper lets me do that with out a load of useless extras.
I am amazed with all the work people like you put in to making Reaper look Awesome..

I am looking forward to the release of this one, and will deffo send a donation if possible.

I like the mixer with the divider, it looks less clutter to me, Some nice icons to mach the theme and divider track layouts for MCP and TCP, oh and a small transport bar layout would be a dream =)

Keep up the good no EXCELLENT work!!

/ Jerok
The Reaper N00B
Jerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #135
uncleswede

Just giving this excellent looking "theme in progress" a nudge so that other's can see and appreciate it :-)
Old 09-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #136
cyrilfb

Default Can we play with this?

Would love to download and play with this!
cyrilfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 AM   #137
Denys

Anything new about your amazing theme, pinksoir?
Denys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #138
emid

Would be interested as well to know the progress.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #139
rossh

Yes, I'd also like to see this one released. When you're ready.
rossh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #140
Indemuse

Yes, very nice work!
Indemuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #141
TobyAM

My touchscreen is begging for this theme!

Hope your job hunt is going well!!!
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote