COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 04-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
michaelwayneharwood
Human being with feelings

Default Question about portability of IFileSelectorControl

I have been eperimenting with IFileSelectorControl on a Windows build (Windows 10) of a plugin I am working on, and am wondering if this control will work once I attempt to try and compile on a Mac with XCode. Will this work as I hope?
michaelwayneharwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
random_id

Yes, it works well on a Mac, too. I can't remember the default open location, but it works.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
michaelwayneharwood

Nice! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
michaelwayneharwood

I am seeing some odd behavior on OSX. Using the following code works properly in Windows, but in OSX I am not able to select files that have an extension. Anything iwth an extension is greyed out.

Code:
 mOpenScl = new IFileSelectorControl(this, IRECT(11, 47, 629, 77), kSCLFileSelector, &bitmap, kFileOpen, ".");
I also tried adding in extensions to the control to no avail - what am I doing wrong?

Code:

mOpenScl = new IFileSelectorControl(this, IRECT(11, 47, 629, 77), kSCLFileSelector, &bitmap, kFileOpen, ".", "scl");

mOpenScl = new IFileSelectorControl(this, IRECT(11, 47, 629, 77), kSCLFileSelector, &bitmap, kFileOpen, ".", "*");
Attached Images
File Type: png osx_fileselector.png (42.0 KB, 242 views)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
random_id

I think if you don't specify anything (or ""), you should be able to select all file types. On OS X, I believe you just specify the extension, not the period (e.g., "txt", not ".txt").

I haven't looked too extensively, but I am wondering if the case matters on the Mac. Maybe you need to specify both types, "scl,SCL". I also wonder if it needs to be a file type that is recognized by the OS. You could try testing it by specifying something like txt and seeing if it works.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
michaelwayneharwood

I tried multiple extensions in various iterations of case (e.g. txt, TXT, scl, SCL, etc.) to no avail. I also looked into file type associations such as associating the file with my application in OSX. Nothing has worked. My next step is to try a native dialog and see if I have the same problem to see if it's a MacOSX issue rather than an WDL/iPlug issue.

Any wisdom from those who have gone down this path successfully is gratefully received.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
michaelwayneharwood

I got tired of fighting with it and dropped the iPlug file open dialog altogether as I was seeing other issues on top of the inability to select the files. I ended up using a small C library named aptly "Tiny File Dialogs" which works beautifully for my purposes, and tested well under both Windows and Mac OSX.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
random_id

I have not had problems with OS X, but I have only ever used "txt". That appears to have worked fine. I am glad you found the other library. I am interested in the color picker. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
michaelwayneharwood

You are very welcome. I am relieved that I could find an easy solution to the problem, and am very glad I decided to test on OSX prior to moving too far in my plugin's code. Refactoring later would have been a huge pain.