Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
woliver1
Human being with feelings

Default Changing 24 bit wav file to 16 bit wav file

I am new to Reaper and am experimenting with burning a CD from my 24 bit recordings. The Reaper manual states that any wav file must be in 16 bit format before burning to CD. Can anyone tell me the section number or location in the Reaper manual where the wav conversion instructions are located. Thanks in advance.....Bill
woliver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Diogenes

The short answer is;

File > Render

Make your time selection if necessary, choose 44100hz for sample rate, 16 bit PCM and WAV output format.

RENDER

Bada-bing! A mixdown render that is directly "burn-able" to CD.

There are other options to explore there (dither, noise shaping etc...) but this should getcha going...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Senn20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woliver1 View Post
I am new to Reaper and am experimenting with burning a CD from my 24 bit recordings. The Reaper manual states that any wav file must be in 16 bit format before burning to CD. Can anyone tell me the section number or location in the Reaper manual where the wav conversion instructions are located. Thanks in advance.....Bill
In Reaper:

Open the project.

File --> Render

Under "WAV bit depth" select 16-bit PCM. Hit render. With the default settings the file will be created in the project directory folder.
Senn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woliver1 View Post
Just to make sure you understand the whole picture, there are two steps involved:

1. Render each of your projects as 16 bit 44.1 stereo wave file. See "Rendering a Project" and "Rendering a Finished Song" in Chapter 15.

2. Consolidate your rendered files and burn to CD. See "Burning an Audio CD with Reaper" also in Chapter 15.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
TimOBrien

Just in case you have a bunch of 24-bit files you want to convert without loading up the Reaper projects again, you can use the FREE Voxengo R8brain, which will convert anything to anything.... and in batches!!

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

(Note: going UP in bits does NOT increase the quality! Just in case you ask...)
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Bubbagump

Bah, Tim beat me to it. r8brain is perfect if you just have single files you want to convert. Reaper is sort of overkill for doing single files, but as others have mentioned, it can do it.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #7
urednik

Reaper is great for converting files - you only need to drag and drop them into reaper plus "save project as". It is very fast and does a good job.

However here is another question regarding 24 to 16 bit conversion:
I have a project recorded in 24 bit, mainly with 5-20dB headroom on tracks (not on the same track - they have even a much bigger dynamic range).
Now, after I make the mix I want to convert the whole project to flac 16bit, so I do not loose audio, but anyway save 8x the disk space.

I do this in the "save project as" dialogue. But, converting a track that peaks at -20dB would be a downgrade in the signal accuracy, wouldn't it?
What should I do in order to get it right?
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
richie43

R8Brain is ok for sample-rate conversion, but it has no dithering options (which some people insist on when changing bit-depth, the topic of this thread), so if you are the dithering sort, I suggest using Reapers batch processing. Just as fast as R8Brain, more featured (in my opinion), and you already have it installed!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
urednik

Every time I try to post a question in an adequate existing thread, I get outdated answers to the already responded questions. So I'll start a new thread every time from now on. Sorry for that (I hate spamming) but it was a no go.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote