Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
jaemlee
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER no sound

I downloaded the latest version of REAPER but I can't get any sound whatever audio device settings I choose.
With WDM, there are no input or output devices available.
Directsound shows no activity on the mixer or the track meter.
When I select Waveout, I get a popup saying
'REAPER Error
There was an error while opening your audio hardware'
Finally, both ASIO and Dummyaudio show activity on the mixer and track meter but there is no sound.

I looked at the troubleshooting REAPER section in the userguide but none of the solutions seemed to help.
Im getting sound from other sources but it's just REAPER that has no sound so I dont think its my sound card.
I even checked the volume mixer to see if REAPER was muted but no and it doesnt show any audio activity.

Sorry about the long post, but help would be very much appreciated.

Jae
jaemlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
stratman

There a little speaker symbol below the track Record button. Have you clicked on this to set Record Monitoring On?

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
jaemlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
There a little speaker symbol below the track Record button. Have you clicked on this to set Record Monitoring On?

Pete
It was turned off but still no sound after turning it on.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Bevosss

Sounds like another program has captured the soundcard driver...have you tried closing all other running programs?
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
jaemlee

I closed everything but that didnt do anything. I also tried restarting but same result.
In the volume mixer I only had REAPER and Windows Sounds but it cant be due to windows sounds could it?
Also I have vista, I dont know if its something to do with that...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
stratman

I use Vista. I've actually set my Windows Sound Scheme to No Sounds. I don't know if this will help.

To do this right click on the speaker symbol in the Windows Taskbar (it should be at the bottom right of your monitor).

Click on Sounds

Under Sound Scheme select No Sounds from the drop down menu.

Does that help?

Pete
Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Bevosss

Download asio4all and try that.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Then have a look at your settings on this page, see if your ouputs are working:

Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
jaemlee

Tried the windows sound thing but didnt work.
Ive been using asio4all (see jpg file).
Maybe its just my sound card thats the problem, I think i just have an integrated soundcard on my laptop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (56.2 KB, 872 views)
Old 04-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
stratman

Just to get more information, have you tried dragging an MP3 into Reaper? It should appear as a track.

What happens when you press the play button? Do you see the levels varying in the track meters?

Pete
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
jaemlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Just to get more information, have you tried dragging an MP3 into Reaper? It should appear as a track.

What happens when you press the play button? Do you see the levels varying in the track meters?

Pete
When I play an mp3 the the levels in the mixer do vary and so the tracks looks as if its playing but just no sound
Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
stratman

I’m not suggesting this is the final solution, but this is something you could try that might help to solve your problem.

As it happens I have a Realtek soundcard on my computer. I don’t normally use it because I use an ASIO setting with my Line 6 UX1 audio interface.

However, by reverting to Directsound, I just managed to get a sound out of Reaper using these settings.

As a test maybe you could see if this works for you.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 04-26-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
jaemlee

Got It To Work!

I changed to direct sound but I only had primary sound capture driver for input device (which hadn't worked before). So I just plugged in a headphone in the mic jack (dont have a microphone at the moment), selected the microphone realtek input device and now it works!

cheers to everyone for your help.

Last edited by jaemlee; 04-26-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
RobinMorris

Default I had same problem

I think I had the same problem as you. If I selected directSound as my output device it wouldn't playback (no activitly evident on the panel) and if I selected ASIO4all then there was activity but still no sound.

I read this thread and tried plugging in a mic, thinking that there was no chance this was going to work... and it worked straight away with direct sound as soon as I selected the mic as the input device.

surely this is a bug?
RobinMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
chimneysweep

apologies for reviving this thread but it seems as if the OP and I have the same specs.

the nature of my problem, however, is a bit different in that I do get sound but can't record audio at the latency I want it at (~10 ms). I had been able to do this using asio4all with an older computer, but now I'm a bit bummed out about having to resort to direct sound just to see activity in my mic levels.

I had tried using the line-in instead to no avail. Additionally, I've found problems with WDM kernel streaming not working at all. My guess is the soundcard but seeing as how this thread showed others who're running Reaper on a computer with a Realtek card, I thought I should ask. Thanks.
chimneysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimneysweep View Post
apologies for reviving this thread but it seems as if the OP and I have the same specs.

the nature of my problem, however, is a bit different in that I do get sound but can't record audio at the latency I want it at (~10 ms). I had been able to do this using asio4all with an older computer, but now I'm a bit bummed out about having to resort to direct sound just to see activity in my mic levels.

I had tried using the line-in instead to no avail. Additionally, I've found problems with WDM kernel streaming not working at all. My guess is the soundcard but seeing as how this thread showed others who're running Reaper on a computer with a Realtek card, I thought I should ask. Thanks.
Yes,- buy a soundcard with decent asio drivers. There are lots of cheaper options available now including the EMU range and ESI and others. It might even be worth scouring ebay.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
kjwmusic

Default Layla20 soundcard outputs disapeard and swiched to digital, can't swich back.

I have something similar that suddenly happened on my desktop computer, (3.6 Ghz, 4GB Ram)

I have an Event/Echo Layla20 PCI Sound card interface(that has 8 anolog/2 digital inputs and 10 analog/2 digital outputs.) Today,for no apperent reason, suddenly outputs analog 9 and 10 stopped working in Reaper. (The analog outputs 9 and 10 still work for all other applications on my computer, only fails under reaper)

Anolog outputs 1 thru 8 funcion as expected, but 9 & 10 do not. After further investigation, I noticed that in the Options/Prefrences/Audio, in the output channel naming/mapping window, that outputs 9 & 10 have been changed to digital out 1 & 2 with analog outputs 9 & 10 remaining not visible. Under the Options/Prefrences/Audio/Device settings using AISO Echo WDM Drivers that come with my sound card, all 10 anolog/2 digital outputs are selectable in the output range. I have set anaolog output 1 as first output and anolog output 10 as the last output. This means that the digital outputs which are listed after analog out puts 9/10 are theoretically unavailable to Reaper, yet some how, reaper assigns A9/A10 as D1/D2. How is this possible?

I noticed one other gliche that began today as well; the spacebar that is used to play/stop Reaper's transprt controls became intermittently unresponive around the same time this began.

I was able to get Reaper to recognize analog outputs 9/10 and play sound thru them for about 2 minutes after changing the sound card engine to PureWave and back to AISO, but alas, during playback it reverted back to the digital outs and I am left without sound.

Obviously I could just use any of the other 8 anolog outputs, but this would be less than ideal, since I use those for headphone mixes and for external FX inserts. The outputs A9/A10 are for my control room mix fsent from Reaper's master send output (to refrence through the studio monitors/speakers).

I re-installed Reaper, nothing changed. I re-installed Layla sound card drivers to an older version, nothing changed. I updated Reaper, nothing changed. It would appear that the sound card itself is failing, but considering that Sound Forge and Guitar Tracks pro recognize and work on these A9/A10 outputs, I am inclined to think it is software related, and not a hardware issue.

Please note that I am runnig windows 2000 SP4 (yeah, I know it's old, but definately more stable than any other OS, especially with my sound card.) There is not any internet on this computer, so a virus is not an issue. This is also not a project specific issue, since it is like this even for new projects. I have checked and unchecked almost every single setting, one at a time to test, and nothing works. Rebooted, reintalled, updated, and still nothing works. It doesent make any logical sense, and its driving me nutz. Please Help
kjwmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
kjwmusic

Default SOLVED; Layla20 soundcard outputs disapeard and swiched to digital, can't swich back.

Hello fellow Reaper addicts,
Well, I just feel a tad stupid. OK, maybe more than a tad. Under the Audio Settings, I had checked "Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive", in an attempt to multi-task with other audio apps, and forgot I did this. After clearing this checkmark, it solved the problem of the missing outputs and all is well in the land of gear and money. What a relief!

A little background on the situation:

While I was trouble shooting this issue, the one thing that threw me for a loop, was when I went into the Windows Device Manager and unchecked "Use audio features on this device" for my Frontier Designs Tranzport controller, this would in turn allow all of Layla's 10 outputs to be available in Reaper (sometimes that is... it worked for a moment, then it would jumble the available outputs, even during playback). This of coarse, led me to beleive there must be a conflict between Tranzport & Reaper. I even thought that my Event\Echo Layla 20 bit sound card may be fried, but alas, it was only operator error. So needless to say, it was a big waste of time and frustration uninstalling, reinstalling and updating my Layla drivers, Tranzport drivers, installing ASIO4all, and even Reaper itself.

Just a little side note on ASIO4all

These drivers are no where near as reliable as the "ECHO LAYLA ASIO WDM" drivers that came with my sound card. Just trying to play a few tracks without any FX gave me several pops, clicks and dropouts. Yet, while using the Layla ASIO WDM Drivers, I was able to play 29 full length tracks with 42 VST FX and two VSTi's all with automation on nearly everything, including FX, without a single hiccup. This is on an old HP XW6000 PC with Pentium 4 Dual Zeon 3.2Ghz processors & 4GB of RAM (4GB of RAM is the most Windows 2000 will allocate). So, I would definitely suggest using the default drivers if possible.

Why I love Reaper so much:

I started computer recording on PC's back in 1994, and I have tried nearly every single DAW software on the market, only to find myself becoming a computer tech, trying to make it work, instead of being an audio engineer. That was up until about 4 years ago, when I discoverd Reaper 2.0, and I never looked back. Finally, a piece of software that actually did what it claims to do. The only complaint I have with Reaper is its performance issues with Direct X plugins, but I found a Direct X to VST converter plugin, so all is good. Anyway, Sorry to get so long winded, I just thought there may be a few others out ther with a Echo Layla 20 bit card that may find this useful or at least interesting.

More inputs and outputs to come:

I am looking for a second Layla 20 card on ebay/craigslist for a decent price, and once I get one, I am going to install it on the same computer, giving me 16 TRS ballanced anolog ins, 20 TRS ballanced anolog outs, and 4 digital I/O's. I will let ya know how it works out. BTW, even though these cards say that they are 20 bit, they function as 24 bit and even 32 bit. This Layla20 soundcard is a rock solid combo with Reaper at the helm.

Why Layla20?

If you are wondering why I use an outdated Sound card on Windows 2000, well, first off, I have had the card since 1997, and it still keeps on perfoming perfectly. Secondly I have a nice Mixer with great preamps, plus all of the external FX and compressors I own can be inserted, thanks to all of the outputs on this sound card. Furthermore, since it has 10 outs, outputs 9 & 10 function as my Left and Right monitor outs for the control room, leaving me with 8 outputs for FX sends, or to route to the mixer to get a 8 bus mixdown, or to create 4 stereo/8 mono headphone mixes. Honestly, it seems to be one of the only sound cards that gives you 2 more outputs than inputs. Also, Windows 2000 uses considerably less resources than XP, Vista, 7 or 8. I considered upgrading to XP, just so I could upgrade the amount of RAM in my computer, but I have read too many horror stories about the Layla20 and WinXP. Besides, with Reaper, even with 29 tracks and 47 live FX, I was only using 42% of my RAM, all while recording an additional 5 tracks. Not to mention, running two 32" monitors to watch it in all its glory. Like many, I grew tired of upgrading all the time, only to find my software or hardware did not run on the new OS. Lastly, why fix what isn't broken? Window 2000 seems to run almost any audio software made that I would ever need. Also, Reaper doesn't seem to run as good on my XP machines or my windows 7 laptop, and I did not even bother to test it out on my Vista turd.

I hope this helps someone,
Happy music production....

Last edited by kjwmusic; 04-28-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling
kjwmusic is offline   Reply With Quote