Old 05-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #1
onestone
Human being with feelings

Default Live recording

My band will be doing a live gig and the FOH mixer will either be Midas M32 or A&H QU24. We plan on using Reaper to record the gig via USB. Where do I find the drivers for these mixers so that I am ready to go and just plug in the day of the gig?
onestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
xpander

I hope the recording is not going to be too important, or that you have a good backup plan. I mean, not doing any setup tests beforehand and just plugging in at the gig, you could expect anything to go wrong and no time or means to fix it right there. Don't know either of these boards but manufacturers are usually the first place to check for the manuals, software etc.

Midas
http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...0B3I/downloads
Afais, if the 32-channel Klark Teknik DN32-USB board is not installed into the mixer, you might not be able to output audio via USB? Bring big enough USB sticks with you and you might be able to use the on-board USB recorder instead. User manual on the same page above.

A&H Qu-series software
http://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/qu-series/#tab5
Qu-24 has a built-in USB interface and they even specifically mention Reaper as one of the DAWs which should recognize the mixer straightaway. Sounds more reassuring but I wouldn't take that for granted until tested.

Maybe somebody else has real experience of these boards and can offer some proper tips. Good luck.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
cyrano

Make sure the mixer's firmware is up to date...
Old 05-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Fergler

Will you be using a mac or pc?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
onestone

Personal Computer
Old 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
serr

I imagine Fergler meant "Mac or Windows PC?"

I strongly recommend shaking out a DAW system intended for live use at home first too. This has matured into a SOP approach but it still has a bit of cutting edge element to it IMHO. If you're planning on mixing the live sound with the hardware mixer instead of Reaper at least a disaster will not stop the show though.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
onestone

Windows 10 computer
Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
cyrano

And you have operated these mixers before?

If not, I'd rent one for a day or two to practice

I understand any analog mixer on the spot. Digital mixers aren't that easy. But both the Midas (same software as the Behri X32, I believe) as the A&H are amongst the easiest.

You certainly need to test recording with your laptop.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:03 AM   #9
onestone

I was able to record live from the AH last year and I record regularly with my X32. So the M32 and X32 have the same software for recording?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
planetnine

They're very similar in their own software -M32 is mostly better hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if they run the same USB drivers...

>
Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestone View Post
I was able to record live from the AH last year and I record regularly with my X32. So the M32 and X32 have the same software for recording?
Yes. It's a different screen, in quality, but it's the same software. Idem for the faders. Same functionality, but the Midas ones are much sturdier and have less motor noise.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 AM   #12
onestone

So, will I need to be hooked up via USB to the M32 to set up Reaper to record. I'm trying to create a template before gig day for this recording but it looks like Reaper doesn't recognize ins and outs without the M32 interface. Am I missing something. I want to be ready and just plug in and record on the gig day.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
Jack Winter

Quote:
So, will I need to be hooked up via USB to the M32 to set up Reaper to record. I'm trying to create a template before gig day for this recording but it looks like Reaper doesn't recognize ins and outs without the M32 interface. Am I missing something. I want to be ready and just plug in and record on the gig day.
To be honest, I'd make it easy for myself, and just create a template prj with 32 rec armed input channel. Set the latency to 2048 or 4096 and go to town. It's easy to make a mistake in the heat of the moment, and it'd kind of suck to come home and realise that the bass track didn't get recorded.. The tracks that weren't used can just be deleted after the event. Of course this is supposing that everything works.

I'd strongly urge you to first spend some time with the mixer, to make sure that it all works... If that's not possible, at least bring a usb stick (or 2) so that if something goes wrong, you can at least record the 2 track FOH sound.

Another tip is make sure that you have studied up on the configuration of the mixer (or bring a manual), as I believe the mixers can be configured to have something different than the 32 mic pres as inputs for your computer,
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #14
onestone

Okay so it all worked well and I have recorded tracks. How can I do overdubs or new tracks if I don't have the M32. I do have and X32 Rack (16 tracks only)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
serr

Quote:
Okay so it all worked well and I have recorded tracks. How can I do overdubs or new tracks if I don't have the M32. I do have and X32 Rack (16 tracks only)
Can I ask what you plan to overdub that requires more than 16 tracks?! Are you planning on overdubbing an orchestra or something?

If you really have an overdub that requires more than 16 tracks... well, that's that then. You need the I/O. Either find a way to restrict yourself to 16 or less channels at a time or rent or borrow something. Maybe borrow that M32 you used for your 'big' overdub and then carry on with your x32 rack for normal overdubs (meaning a vocal or instrument or whatever that might use 1 - 3 mics at once).
Old 06-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
onestone

Just wanting to fix some mistakes but also want to do extra tracks for layering. I want to keep the original tracks as these will be synced with video.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #17
serr

Right...

You stated that the limitation of only 16 inputs was stopping you from a planned overdub. Is that right?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
onestone

Sorry, I did not phrase that correctly. My question is how do I do overdubs or add tracks when something was originally be recorded on an M32 using 32 tracks (they actually only used 20)and I have an X32 rack (16 tracks)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
serr

Quote:
Sorry, I did not phrase that correctly. My question is how do I do overdubs or add tracks when something was originally be recorded on an M32 using 32 tracks (they actually only used 20)and I have an X32 rack (16 tracks)
The audio interface you happened to be using to capture those inputs as digital audio streams in your recording session has no bearing on anything. (Beyond the quality of the analog inputs it had and thus the quality of the capture.)

Right now you have tracks recorded. There is not even a record of what interface you used to capture them. You'd have to write yourself notes for a diary if that was important to remember.

Now all that matters is that you 1. have an interface with outputs (at least stereo) to let you play back what you recorded. and 2. You have an interface with enough inputs to record the new parts you want to further add to your recording project.

There's no connection between the number of inputs an audio interface used happens to have imposing any restriction on the saved project. You assign whatever you happen to have plugged in at any time to Reaper and use the I/O. No more, no less. (And you can connect multiple interfaces and use them all together as well. Look up aggregate device for that.)

That help?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
onestone

That is what I needed to know. Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #21
onestone

Okay so I hooked up the X32 and Reaper and when I fired it up the inputs and outputs are missing. I see all 32 (20 actual) tracks and can play them back but how do I use my x32 rack to record to say track 22 of the 32 tracks. How do I set up the routing on so I can add tracks? I thought the ins and outs would just show up and I would route say input 6 on the X32 to track 22 arm and go. Any help would be great.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #22
serr

You selected the interface on the device page and that worked but no inputs are available?

This is the same computer? The driver is the same right?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #23
onestone

All I see are input 1 and 2 and input 1 stereo and then the same for outputs.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #24
serr

Can we see a screen shot of your Preferences/Audio/Device page with the x32 selected in the device menu?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #25
onestone

Okay, I must have had something checked wrong. I can now see all 32 ins and outs. Now, how do I set up routing to use my X32 rack to do more tracks. Say in on channel 6 and out to channel 24?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #26
onestone

So I guess my real question is can I change I/O routing on the existing project so that I can use the X32 rack to do overdubs without hurting the existing tracks.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #27
serr

First, understand that the only way to "hurt" existing tracks would be to delete the audio files themselves from both your primary hard drive and any backup copies. The "items" on the screen that reference the files are just that - references. This is what's meant by "non-destructive".

Any audio interface that you happen to connect to your system to use has no connection to any previously recorded audio or any previously assigned hardware connections.

Back to your interface issues...

You can select your interface on the device page but when you go to assign input channels from it to tracks, you only see 2 channels of input available? Is that right?

Post a screen shot showing your Preferences/Audio/Device page with the interface selected and then a screen shot of the right-click menu for assigning a track input showing only 2 channels available.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #28
onestone

No, I can see all 32 now. I had something unchecked. Sorry, I think I posted that I could see all 32 earlier.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #29
serr

Just a bit of learning curve and everything is good now then?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #30
onestone

I think. Just was concerned that when I changed my I/O routing in the matrix to accommodate the 32 rack (16 channels) that I would lose the already recorded tracks.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #31
serr

Quote:
I think. Just was concerned that when I changed my I/O routing in the matrix to accommodate the 32 rack (16 channels) that I would lose the already recorded tracks.
There is literally no connection there.

PS. Now that you know how to connect I/O interfaces and assign channels, check out the routing matrix. Makes audio routing painless.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #32
onestone

Great, thanks for all your help. I really appreciated it.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 AM   #33
onestone

Now that I have recorded new tracks does anyone know how to slow all the tracks down so I can overdub at a slower speed and not change the pitch?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #34
jazznfunk

*) Check Your PC SDD/HDD for free space (Reaper can show it in status bar, when enabled)
*) Consider to record these tracks in FLAC or other lossless format to save disk space and throughput, if You are using slower HDD.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #35
onestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznfunk View Post
*) Check Your PC SDD/HDD for free space (Reaper can show it in status bar, when enabled)
*) Consider to record these tracks in FLAC or other lossless format to save disk space and throughput, if You are using slower HDD.
Umm, I don't have a space problem or slow computer. I just want to slow the tracks down so I can do some nice clean overdubs/new tracks.