View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 AM   #26
scottdru
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mph View Post
Maybe I'm just plain silly, but I can't see how any of your suggestions and explanations can explain what is happening in Reaper. The recording-latency appears in Reaper with WDM-drivers, not in Sonar - that's the problem. From my point of view it would prevent some future users to use Reaper out-of-the-box.
Have you even bothered to TRY using ASIO drivers with REAPER? Or are you just carrying over assumptions from Sonar and refusing to try ASIO on the basis of your personal past experiences that are most likely unique to Sonar?

If I'm not mistaken, Sonar is rather unique in being set up for low latency with WDM drivers. Most of the other applications use ASIO drivers for lowest latency performance.

Also, I think Justin already explained that ASIO is easier to support than low latency with WDM drivers. He seems pretty sharp with this stuff, that Justin . . . I'd expect him to know a thing or three about the subject.

Further, since every audio interface meant for recording supports low latency ASIO drivers, and ASIO4ALL takes care of any other sound cards that don't have ASIO drivers, why would anyone get a crinkle in their shorts because they don't get low latency with WDM drivers? What's the point, as long as you have something available to you that DOES work well?
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote