Thread: REAPER no sound
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
kjwmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Layla20 soundcard outputs disapeard and swiched to digital, can't swich back.

I have something similar that suddenly happened on my desktop computer, (3.6 Ghz, 4GB Ram)

I have an Event/Echo Layla20 PCI Sound card interface(that has 8 anolog/2 digital inputs and 10 analog/2 digital outputs.) Today,for no apperent reason, suddenly outputs analog 9 and 10 stopped working in Reaper. (The analog outputs 9 and 10 still work for all other applications on my computer, only fails under reaper)

Anolog outputs 1 thru 8 funcion as expected, but 9 & 10 do not. After further investigation, I noticed that in the Options/Prefrences/Audio, in the output channel naming/mapping window, that outputs 9 & 10 have been changed to digital out 1 & 2 with analog outputs 9 & 10 remaining not visible. Under the Options/Prefrences/Audio/Device settings using AISO Echo WDM Drivers that come with my sound card, all 10 anolog/2 digital outputs are selectable in the output range. I have set anaolog output 1 as first output and anolog output 10 as the last output. This means that the digital outputs which are listed after analog out puts 9/10 are theoretically unavailable to Reaper, yet some how, reaper assigns A9/A10 as D1/D2. How is this possible?

I noticed one other gliche that began today as well; the spacebar that is used to play/stop Reaper's transprt controls became intermittently unresponive around the same time this began.

I was able to get Reaper to recognize analog outputs 9/10 and play sound thru them for about 2 minutes after changing the sound card engine to PureWave and back to AISO, but alas, during playback it reverted back to the digital outs and I am left without sound.

Obviously I could just use any of the other 8 anolog outputs, but this would be less than ideal, since I use those for headphone mixes and for external FX inserts. The outputs A9/A10 are for my control room mix fsent from Reaper's master send output (to refrence through the studio monitors/speakers).

I re-installed Reaper, nothing changed. I re-installed Layla sound card drivers to an older version, nothing changed. I updated Reaper, nothing changed. It would appear that the sound card itself is failing, but considering that Sound Forge and Guitar Tracks pro recognize and work on these A9/A10 outputs, I am inclined to think it is software related, and not a hardware issue.

Please note that I am runnig windows 2000 SP4 (yeah, I know it's old, but definately more stable than any other OS, especially with my sound card.) There is not any internet on this computer, so a virus is not an issue. This is also not a project specific issue, since it is like this even for new projects. I have checked and unchecked almost every single setting, one at a time to test, and nothing works. Rebooted, reintalled, updated, and still nothing works. It doesent make any logical sense, and its driving me nutz. Please Help
kjwmusic is offline   Reply With Quote